Life of Pi

by Yann Martel | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by PaigeTurner124 of Cibolo, Texas USA on 1/24/2004
Journal Entry 1 by PaigeTurner124 from Cibolo, Texas USA on Saturday, January 24, 2004
Received this today as a birthday gift. I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 2 by PaigeTurner124 from Cibolo, Texas USA on Monday, March 15, 2004
I really enjoyed this book! It is based on a true story about a 16 year old boy who lost his family when their ship sank while moving from India to Canada. The story is a little slow to start with, but you need all the background information to really understand Pi. Once the boat sinks, the rest of the book goes really fast. Pi finds himself in a lifeboat, his only companions a hyena, an orangutan, a wounded zebra, and a 450-pound Bengal tiger. Very interesting and a great read!

Journal Entry 3 by PaigeTurner124 from Cibolo, Texas USA on Monday, March 15, 2004
I gave this book to my mom to read.

Journal Entry 4 by PaigeTurner124 from Cibolo, Texas USA on Saturday, May 08, 2004
My mother returned this book to me, so it is now available again.

Journal Entry 5 by PaigeTurner124 from Cibolo, Texas USA on Monday, June 28, 2004
I am setting this book up as my first book ring. To join this bookring please PM (private message) me and include your location and the method of shipping you prefer to shipp (US only, international, etc.). I will be glad to add you to the list. Please make journal entries when you receive the book and when you mail the book to the next person so we can keep track of the book location . Book mailed to Nwadel via USPS media mail on 6/30/04.

Signed Up So Far:
1. Nwadel - Idaho (U.S. only) Rcvd 7/8/04, Mailed 7/13/04
2. i0xi0x - Ohio (Prefers U.S.) Rcvd 7/21/04, Mailed 7/30/04
3. Jenvince - California (Prefers U.S.) Rcvd 8/10/04, Mailed 8/31/04
4. teenage-faerie - Tennessee (Prefers U.S.)Rcvd 9/2/04
5. Shadowraven - California (Prefers U.S.)
6. Huntersmith - Georgia (Prefers U.S.)Rcvd 10/17/04
7. Nicole4 - Illinois (Prefers U.S.)Mailed 1/24/05
8. Flicki - Germany (Anywhere)Rcvd 01/27/05, Mailed 3/9/05
9. Martinburo- Germany (Anywhere)
10. Kichaa - Italy (Anywhere)Rcvd 3/30/05, Mailed 6/6/05
11. Mel723 - Holland (Anywhere)Rcvd 6/8/05, Mailed 9/4/05
12. Gordiana - Portugal (Anywhere)
13. Tiddlestania - United Kingdom (Anywhere)
14. Whitehorsy - Belgium (Anywhere) Mailed 12/19/05

Well it appears this book got lost somewhere on the way to Australia, it looks like that's the end for this book ring. Thanks to all that participated!

15. Ozjoe - Australia (Anywhere)<===It's on it's way here!
16. Sweetpea0678 - Florida, USA (Prefers U.S.?)
17. K00kabura - California, USA (Prefers U.S?
18. One4WorldPeace - Washington, USA (Anywhere)
19. Sedeara - Minnesota, USA (U.S. Only)
20. Violetaparra - Maryland, USA (Prefers U.S.?)
21. GrannyAnn - New York, USA (U.S. Only)
22. Reddragonlady - New York, USA (U.S. Only)

Back home to PaigeTurner 124

Journal Entry 6 by nwadel on Thursday, July 08, 2004
Just got this today!! Yipee! Starting it right now. Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by nwadel on Tuesday, July 13, 2004
I thought when i started reading this, that i would not be able to finish it. It was so boring, but, after he and his family started their move, i could not put the book down. It was so descriptive and i felt like i was there watching him. I just loved this book!
Thanks for sharing it with me, i love Bookcrossing :)

Journal Entry 8 by i0xi0x from Youngstown, Ohio USA on Wednesday, July 21, 2004
I received this in the mail today. I have heard so much hype about this book that I couldn't resist signing up for the ring. I have some other ring books I am reading right now, so I will read this as soon as they are finished. Thank you so much for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by i0xi0x from Youngstown, Ohio USA on Wednesday, July 28, 2004
I gave up on this book. I was really struggling through the first part of the book. I know I will eventually regret not finishing this, but for now it just seemed like a chore. I hope that the rest of you really enjoy the book!

Thank you so much to PaigeTurner124 for sharing this book! I have already gotten an address for Jenvince and will mail this on my next trip to the Post Office.

Journal Entry 10 by i0xi0x at on Friday, July 30, 2004
Released on Friday, July 30, 2004 at BookRing in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Mailed to jenvince via media mail today.

Journal Entry 11 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Tuesday, August 10, 2004
Whoo-hoo!! This book arrived today and I'm thrilled! Can ya tell??? :)

I have been wanting to read this one FOREVER!!

I have one bookring book to finish up ahead of this, then will dive into the Life of Pi, and send it on.

Update 8/18:
Am able to start this book today.

Journal Entry 12 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Monday, August 23, 2004
I finished this last night. Agree with the others, I struggled through Part 1, but as soon as Part 2 started, I was hooked. Very interesting story!

Will send on to teenage-faerie as soon as I receive an address. Have Pm'd 8/23, 8/24.

Update 8/30: I have received teenage-faerie's addy - will be mailing book tomorrow.

Journal Entry 13 by teenage-faerie from Dandridge, Tennessee USA on Thursday, September 02, 2004
i recieved the book today from jenvince via a bookring. i'm really looking forward to reading this book. i have one more bookring i need to read first and then i'll get to this one. i'll post when i finish it and send it out. :)

began book on 9/12

Journal Entry 14 by teenage-faerie from Dandridge, Tennessee USA on Sunday, September 26, 2004
i really,really liked this book! it moved a bit slow at times but overall it was an amazing book. such an inspiring story!

i have this all ready to send on but shadowraven hasn't PMd me her address.

Journal Entry 15 by teenage-faerie at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 04, 2004

Released 14 yrs ago (10/5/2004 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sending this book to huntersmith. enjoy :)

Journal Entry 16 by huntersmith from Butler, Georgia USA on Sunday, October 17, 2004
Just recieved

Journal Entry 17 by huntersmith from Butler, Georgia USA on Wednesday, October 27, 2004
Yes, I liked this book very much. Mainly because of the main character, Pi. I love the idea that this boy loved God so much he was a Hindu, a Muslim, and a Catholic(sp?). I especially love the scene in the beginning where his spiritual advisors meet and have an argument over him.

Did I like the rest of the book? Yes, I did. It was a "suck-you-in-won't-let-you-go" example of storytelling. The author actually managed to make the Richard Parker seem very much a real character. And the whole sequence on the floating island was creepy enough to make me shiver. I also enjoyed the interludes where the author describes his encounters with Pi.

The only thing I didn't like is that it was presented as a true story. I can't find a single actual bit of corroborating evidence of this, which is why it has an eight out of ten stars. However, I did find a wonderful interview with Yann Martel at powells.com where he describes where his inspiration comes from.

Journal Entry 18 by nicole4 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, December 15, 2004
Got it! I have a ring ahead of this, but will get to it soon!

Journal Entry 19 by nicole4 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, January 24, 2005
I loved this book! I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else that the first part was hard to get through and had me thinking I would not like this book. But once he gets carted off to see, I couldn't put it down! It really makes you wonder what you would/could do if faced with such an extraordinary situation. Great, great book!

Could not find Grammarboard in the people search so I contacted the next person and got no response. So...I mailed this to Flicki today, 1/24/05.

Journal Entry 20 by Flicki from Aurich, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, January 28, 2005
Traveling through the snow, this book arrived cold but safe! Thanks a lot!!! I'll hopefully get to it soon! (Unfortunately all bookrings arrive at once, as usual... ;-))

Journal Entry 21 by Flicki from Aurich, Niedersachsen Germany on Saturday, March 05, 2005
I only finished the book and I quite liked it - especially the part about the floating island, that was phantastic! Still, I'm not much of a religious person - neither before reading the book nor afterwards. Though I have to say that if I'd have to chose religion I would go the way Pi does. :-)

Whenever I find out who'll be next I'll send the book on! :-) (It's not that easy right now, it seems! ;-))

PS: Oh, I forgot: I didn't find the first part more tedious than the second. In fact, I found the stories about animals highly interesting! The second part was sometimes close to boring as I already knew that they would survive (no harm done: He couldn't tell the story if he was dead, that's why. :-) And Pi says in the beginning that the story has a happy end!)

UPDATE: 03/11/05: Sent this out to martinburo yesterday!

Journal Entry 22 by martinburo from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 15, 2005
Overall, I did not like this book's negative attitude. It's a satire of Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea, by Steven Callahan, but it makes fun of the suffering of Steven Callahan.
In a similar way, the book objects that Christianism is a monotheist religion with three gods, Islam always talks about peace while instigating holy wars, Hinduism hides the mystical truth behind mystical labels, agnostics doubt even their own sense experiences, and atheists believe there is no god. But then what? (And yes, I don't accurately represent the book here. I exaggerate to make my meaning clear, since I am too lazy to give a full analysis of my subjective objection to the religious stance in the book).
My favorite quote from the book is:
"There are always those who take it upon themselves to defend God, as if Ultimate Reality, as if the sustainig frame of existence, were something weak and helpless."
I will send it on as soon as I get Kichaa's adress.

Journal Entry 23 by Kichaa from Veendam, Groningen Netherlands on Wednesday, March 30, 2005
Received the book today, will read it as soon as possible and then pass in on.

Journal Entry 24 by Kichaa from Veendam, Groningen Netherlands on Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Loved it. Very interesting, and I was suprised every new thing that happened! I will send it on to the next.

Journal Entry 25 by Kichaa from Veendam, Groningen Netherlands on Monday, June 06, 2005
Sending it to Mel723 today.

Journal Entry 26 by mel723 from Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, June 08, 2005
Received today, I will start on it asap. Thanks Kichaa for sending it :)

Journal Entry 27 by mel723 from Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, August 28, 2005
It took me quite a long time to finish this book; first I had some difficulty getting into it and then Pi just didn't seem to get out of the lifeboat. I am glad I finished it, because it was very well written, just a bit too long for me though. As soon as I get the address I'll send it on.

Journal Entry 28 by mel723 from Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, September 04, 2005
Sent to Tiddlestania today.

Journal Entry 29 by whitehorsy from Hasselt, Limburg / Limbourg Belgium on Sunday, December 11, 2005
I've received this book from Tiddlestania last week. I've picked it up yesterday when I came home and started reading this evening, on the train back to Leuven. :-)

I've only reached page 44 but I don't find the beginning boring at all. This opinion about zoos is highly interesting for me because I'm quite into animals and not really zoo-minded. ;-)

I'm looking forward to the rest of the story and I hope to finish it by the end of this week.

Journal Entry 30 by whitehorsy from Hasselt, Limburg / Limbourg Belgium on Monday, December 19, 2005
I've finished this book last Saturday and as most people, I really loved it. I didn't have any trouble with the first part, I liked the information the author gave about animals. And once Pi found himself on his lifeboat with the animals the story really grabbed me. I'm not sure if this really is based on real facts... not that I want to be like those Japanese officials at the end of the story. ;-) It just seems a bit strange... a bit too unreal to be true? I don't know and it doesn't matter at all. All that matters is that this is a real good story. The part that really got to me is that Pi had to kill and eat animals to survive... the evolution from revulsion to necessity. I can imagine how hard it must have been, being a vegetarian myself, to kill other living beings to keep yourself alive. All in all the story is not so pessimistic and I think it's written in a funny way, there's humor in it. :-)

I've sent the book off to Ozjoe in Australia today (by surface mail).