The Garden Party and Other Stories

Registered by wingkirjakkowing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 9/22/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingkirjakkowing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, September 22, 2014
From a Dead Man's Library. I'm into rescuing books that relatives of the deceaced are willing to toss away. I've never heard of Mansfield, but the back cover calls her a genius who was compared to Chekhov. Opsadaisy, here I show my ignorance again...

Pic: A little garden party in York on the week I turned 50.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkirjakkowing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, October 12, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (10/5/2014 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

I've forgotten to make a release note, but I've tagged crimson-tide with this book and sent it off last week. I've also forgotten which town she lives in, but hopefully I got Australia right...

Edit 2019: I love it when books travel, on several continents even, long after their previous owners have died!

Journal Entry 3 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Ha! Well at least you got the country right kirjakko, even if the town is somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 km out . . . ;-)

Thanks very much for this wishlist tag.

Journal Entry 4 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, July 01, 2018
This book comprises fifteen short stories, written towards the end of Mansfield's short life. As with most short story collections the individual stories vary in their quality and appeal, I enjoyed quite a few but others were so-so. She has a distinctive style, but is always perceptive and acutely aware of both the unspoken and the extraordinary within the ordinary lives of her subjects. Published in 1922 they also reveal much of the social life and conventions of the time, both in New Zealand and Europe, complete with all the class distinctions and racism.

On the 1001 Books list.

Update 4th August:
Offered on greenbadger's "One book a month offered 2018" thread for August.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/5/2018 UTC) at Balingup, Western Australia Australia

Wilena is the recipient of my RABCK for August, so posting off on a trip to France. Hope you enjoy it.

Update 30th October:
This poor little book lobbed up back in my PO Box a couple of weeks ago, feeling quite exhausted after a return trip to France! Certainly a bit of a mystery as the address was definitely correct. Australia Post has now come to the party and has refunded the postage, so I reposted the book back to Wilena today. Hopefully this time it will be delivered successfully. If not, then it will be one very jet-lagged and confused little parcel. 😉

Journal Entry 6 by Wilena at Entraigues, Auvergne France on Wednesday, November 21, 2018
The book finally arrived at destination, with some go and come back !

Thanks a lot crimson-tide for sharing it ! :-)

Journal Entry 7 by Wilena at Entraigues, Auvergne France on Tuesday, April 23, 2019
A good book with different novels. The style is old but the author throw us in the climax and we see how the characters interact between them.

An interesting reading, thanks a lot for the discovery ! :-)

Journal Entry 8 by Wilena at Entraigues, Auvergne France on Tuesday, April 23, 2019
This book completes the New-Zealand at the Challenge of foreign writers of Indy2012.

Released 7 mos ago (4/26/2019 UTC) at Haus der Jugend - BC Convention 2019 in Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

I didn't plan to release this book there but I just finished to read it for the foreign writers challenge and I am leaving for Germany so I decide to take it and to release it at the Mainz Convention, I hope it will find new readers there !

Journal Entry 10 by Mankyi at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, April 29, 2019
Picked up this book at the Convention, and already started reading it on my way back home. I can see why they call Mansfield a female Chekhov.

Journal Entry 11 by Mankyi at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (6/19/2019 UTC) at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

The book is about to travel to its new owner - the winner ( or decoy) of the Mail a Garden Sweeps. I hope she likes the book as much as I did!

Journal Entry 12 by Ninas_BookNook at Yorktown, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 29, 2019
I received this lovely book as part of the "Mail a Garden" Sweeps and it will definitely take a top spot on my TBR pile. Lovely that it was sent with a personal touch, including some pressed lavender. Once I finish reading, this book will go into one of my little free libraries.

I have finished reading the book and reviewed it on Goodreads:
I generally prefer novels to short stories but received this book in a garden-themed BookCrossing sweepstakes and decided to give it a try. Mansfield is an observer of the minute details of life and conveys these moments perfectly in her descriptions. I enjoyed some of the stories more than others but "The Garden Party" itself was among the best. If you're looking for a thriller and fast-clipped action, this is not for you. But if you want to "stop and smell the roses," you won't be disappointed.