Tangerine

by Edward Bloor | Children's Books |
ISBN: 059043277x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Vasha of Ithaca, New York USA on 10/30/2014
Journal Entry 1 by Vasha from Ithaca, New York USA on Thursday, October 30, 2014
Found at the Friends of the Library booksale. I liked this book when I read it before, and so I got another copy. Here's my previous journal entry: "Really pretty great, with a sinister atmosphere maintained right to the satisfying end, and a skillful interweaving of several subplots and thematic ideas. Yes, it's a story about a rich kid who goes to the wrong side of the tracks, and finds things more authentic there, and learns to fit in; that story can be so condescending and problematic, but Edward Bloor pulls it off better for some reason, possibly because his protagonist Paul isn't too much of a Big Hero, and possibly because the cultural friction and resentment involved is honestly written about. Even so, Paul knows more about Lake Windsor (the gated community, amazingly and amusingly described, that he lives in) than lower-socio-economic Tangerine. A story written from the perspective of an inhabitant of the latter would be different. "

Journal Entry 2 by Vasha at Collegetown Bagels, 203 North Aurora St. in Ithaca, New York USA on Saturday, November 8, 2014

Released 9 yrs ago (11/8/2014 UTC) at Collegetown Bagels, 203 North Aurora St. in Ithaca, New York USA

Journal Entry 3 by Vasha at Dryden Community Center in Dryden, New York USA on Thursday, April 2, 2015

Released 9 yrs ago (4/2/2015 UTC) at Dryden Community Center in Dryden, New York USA