Eventide

Read, Journal & Release
by Kent Haruf | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingbookstogivewing of Springville, Tennessee USA on 5/17/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Amazon Editorial Review

One of the most beloved novels in recent years, Plainsong was a best-seller from coast to coast—and now Kent Haruf returns to the High Plains community of Holt, Colorado, with a story of even more masterful authority.

When the McPheron brothers see Victoria Roubideaux, the single mother they’d taken in, move from their ranch to begin college, an emptiness opens before them—and for many other townspeople it also promises to be a long, hard winter. A young boy living alone with his grandfather helps out a neighbor whose husband, off in Alaska, suddenly isn’t coming home, leaving her to raise their two daughters. At school the children of a disabled couple suffer indignities that their parents know all too well in their own lives, with only a social worker to look after them and a violent relative to endanger them further. But in a small town a great many people encounter one another frequently, often surprisingly, and destinies soon become entwined—for good and for ill—as they confront events that sorely test the limits of their resilience and means, with no refuge available except what their own character and that of others afford them.

Spring eventually does reach across the land, and how the people of Eventide get there makes for an engrossing, profoundly moving novel rich in the wisdom, humor, and humanity for which Kent Haruf is justly acclaimed.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookstogivewing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (10/17/2018 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

To the finder of this book:

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, October 27, 2018
The Big Box O' Books arrived safely today - many thanks! I'll try to find lots of different places to release these, so that your books might report back from several different towns and states. This one's a follow-on to Plainsong, which I couldn't get into, so I expect I'll release this one unread.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Atherton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, October 27, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (10/27/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Atherton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Tick Tock release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, December 28, 2018
This book pulls you in right from the start. The characters are real people and you feel their emotions. Very good read.