The Broken Road: From the Iron Gates to Mount Athos (BOOKRING)

Registered by bookmaniac70 of София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on 9/17/2014
Journal Entry 1 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Patrick Leigh Fermor was 18 years old when in 1930 he set on a unique journey on foot from the Hook of Holland to Constantinopole. A curious and enthusiastic traveller with a natural gift of observation and keen interest in nature and people, later he shared his experience in two volumes - "A Time of Gifts" and "Between the Woods and Water". Patrick Leigh Fermor is an extraordinary travel writer with high-level style and rich language. The third and last part of his trilogy was never finished - for some reason he couldn`t complete it and left only some notes and diary excerpts. It was a great surprise to find this book in a famous bookshop in Paris - "Shakespeare&company". Colin Thubron and Artermis Cooper took the task of compiling and editing his notes, so as to provide the ending of the story. Naturally, the book has some shortcomings and perhaps falls behind the other two in style and integrity, but nevertheless it carries the main characteristics of Fermor`s writing and for me it was touching and intriguing.

Years ago, thanks to bookcrosser Neckarhex, I discovered this great personality and now I would like to repay the bookcrossing kindness by offering the last book of the trilogy.

The Broken Road Bookring:

1. Merolia - Greece, Europe shipping
2. penelopewanders - Switzerland, Europe shipping
3. ETMadrid - United Kingdom, Europe shipping

Journal Entry 2 by Merolia at Halandri, Attica Greece on Wednesday, October 15, 2014
The book arrived today! (Wow, it only took a month. I'm beginning to think the postman visits the area once month or so.) Thank you very much for sending bookmaniac70!

Journal Entry 3 by Merolia at Halandri, Attica Greece on Monday, December 08, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (12/6/2014 UTC) at Halandri, Attica Greece

The book is on its way to penelopewanders. I enjoyed it a lot, but I admit I couldn't get very far into it in the given time, it's a book that really needs its time and a calmer period of my life. I'm glad I had the opportunity to find out about it and I plan to get my own copy some day.

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, December 23, 2014
This has rolled up our mountainside, just in time for the busy Christmas rush! I don't know how soon I'll be able to get to this as I'm very involved with organizing a big annual ten-day meeting starting here in a few days.
Thanks so much for sending - this book is in very good shape, and thanks for the book mark and Christmas card too!
All the very best for a peaceful and healthy holiday season.

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, January 18, 2015
I ended up reading this in fits and starts, and although I was a little apprehensive as to how much attention I'd be able to devote to this, I ended up appreciating this third stage of PLF's journey very much - possibly even more than the previous two. As much as I was fascinated by his impressions while crossing western Europe in the pre-war era already bubbling almost to a head, this stage seemed to capture me even more. The scene of the dancers in the cave was enthralling, especially after his near-miss with a potentially fatal accident. Mount Athos was total new-land for me, and the whole concept of a region so forbidden to females that female animals are banned as well- in a place so relatively nearby, astonished me. Time and again I found myself wondering whether such a journey would be even possible in today's world - and yet surely there were cut-throats and brigands at the time and in the places PLF passed through as well. Did he have a horde of guardian angels on his side or did he smooth over some of the less reassuring encounters? A stolen rucksack or two seem to be the sum of it. I was very glad to discover these books, and am grateful to the organizer of the ring. I have the next address and will try to get this sent in the next week.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (1/28/2015 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

This spent a bit longer on the mountain than intended... but PLF had some unexpected delays as well... apologies. Now this is leaving the snowy Alps and heading to London. Thanks so much for making this available. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by ETMadrid at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, February 08, 2015
Thanks for sending this. I'm just listening to "We Steal Flyers" (thanks to the card in the book)! I've one book to finish then another bookring to read and then this, so it'll take me a little while, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Journal Entry 8 by ETMadrid at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 24, 2015
Finally... I have finished this. I read it at a painstakingly slow pace, so apologies for the lack of news. I started it at the end of June but have been very busy and travelling a lot. It's quite an achievement to have read all three books - all three very dense in content and style, all three fascinating. I work with a lot of musicians who play music from the Balkans, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece and Turkey, so like penelopewanders, I especially enjoyed the account of the encounter with fishermen and herdsmen and their music-making in the cave.

Here is just one extract of many I enjoyed:

"How agreeable and exciting were these daily wakings on this journey; in odd surroundings, the proud owner - as one sent the smoke of an early cigarette spiralling across the room - of that unique and utterly unforeseeable object: the day ahead, facet on facet, layer on layer." p170

My knowledge was likewise thin on the ground with regard to Mount Athos. Interesting, but the style, being a direct diary account, was so different it felt a bit of a strange add-on, but in the circumstances of the unfinished book, probably better than not having it... Thank you so much bookmaniac70 for making this book, that I didn't know existed, available to us.