THE QUIET AMERICAN

by Graham Greene | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kingfan30 of -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on 9/14/2014
Journal Entry 1 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 14, 2014
My second book by this author and although I got on better than the last time, I'm still not enamoured with him. Vietnam is a place I've always wanted to visit, so it was interesting from that point of view, but the American isn't really that quiet, in fact he has quite a lot to say, and I did t really care for any of the rest of the characters.

Journal Entry 2 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (9/16/2014 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Sent on as a RABCK

Journal Entry 3 by saskiasosmile at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 18, 2014
Thank you for your very kind RABCK !

Journal Entry 4 by saskiasosmile at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 05, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (12/5/2014 UTC) at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

For the 'Letters Q & X bookring. This book will be travelling to the next participant accompanied by a book with letter X.

I agree with the previous reader, this book is for me not the best that I have read by this author. It s very clever though and other may really enjoy it.

Journal Entry 5 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 28, 2014
Taken from the Books beginning with Q or X bookring. Thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 05, 2015
Set in Vietnam in the 1950s, with a war on three fronts going on between the French, the Communists and General Thé, the war correspondent Fowler meets the innocent 'quiet American', Pyle. Pyle immediately falls for Fowler's girlfriend, the annoyingly vacuous Phuong. The book focusses on the relationship between the two men but the political situation and Pyle's naive involvement proves crucial to the outcome.

Journal Entry 7 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 06, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (6/6/2015 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to Sparkish from Alphabet VBB round 9. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, June 08, 2015
Arrived safely today. Thanks for sending and thanks for the postcard :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, May 25, 2018
I finished this book last week and I loved it. I am going to hang on to it for a little while as my husband wants to read it, but it will travel again as soon as he has finished. Thanks again for sending.

Journal Entry 10 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 14, 2019
Well he’s finally read this one! We be on its way again as soon as possible x

Journal Entry 11 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (4/17/2019 UTC) at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Travelling as part of the UK wish list tag game. Hope you like it.

Journal Entry 12 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 20, 2019
Book arrived safely I look forward to reading it. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 13 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 04, 2020
This book is a critique of American meddling in Vietnam but it is still relevant today as when it was written not just about American foreign policy but also the other super-powers as can be seen in countries like Syria. This book therefore features the battle between cynicism and idealism, between intentions and outcomes, the toll that war takes on the morals of average citizens and how humanity is caught up in the machinations of those who think they know best and are willing to go to any end to get to where they want to be.

"Sooner or later........one has to take sides, if one is to remain human."

I think that Greene's real skill here is in his character portrayal.Fowler on one hand he is portrayed as a cynical observer (he prefers to see himself as a reporter rather than a journalist) but he is also an imperfect character with his own frailties. In contrast Pyle is young, naive and idealistic. My copy of this book had under 200 pages in length so whilst the text packs a punch the author manages to avoid sentimentalism. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would certainly recommend it.

Journal Entry 14 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (4/14/2020 UTC) at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going across the pond as a BookMooch. Enjoy.