Daughter of the Blood [Bookray]

by Anne Bishop | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingadrienne10wing of Seattle, Washington USA on 1/23/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingadrienne10wing from Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, January 23, 2004
This is my review when I first read this novel in 1999.

Bishop writes a dark novel. This is her first published novel, but already this trilogy has a following that I believe will continue to grow as time goes on. This book will appeal to those who like dark fantasy and is a good starting point for those looking to expand their tastes in fantasy and science fiction. This was my first such novel. I did find the book hard to get into the first few pages. They were actually a turn-off and the only reason I continued was because had already bought the trilogy. (Bishop's novels are not available in most libraries yet.) I am very glad I continued to read this book. After the initial strangeness and difficulty with the names and places, I became fascinated and couldn't wait until my next free moment to continue reading.

What can you expect when you pick up this book? It is a story about Jaenelle, a young black widow witch who is Witch, and the people drawn to her, specifically the Diablo males. Even though the focal character is Jaenelle, the perspective of the story is shown through the eyes of Daemon and Saeton. Yes, a main character is the High Lord of Hell. This can either be a big turn off or a very appealing aspect. I was bothered at first by it, but the book is quite interesting and has a very good story, so I stopped letting it bother me.

The book is highly sensual and may not be appropriate for children under age 13. There are also very violent, disgusting acts that take place with children.

Charles de Lint seems to have "found" this writer. I've never read any of his work, but he suggests Anne Bishop's trilogy.

This book will be released when I receive my Omnibus back.

Journal Entry 2 by wingadrienne10wing from Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, May 18, 2004
Bookring Information:

This is the continuation of the Onmibus bookring because the Omnibus is stuck despite repeated PMs on my part.

The names of the Bookcrossers who are in this ring are listed below. If you are interested please PM me with your location and shipping preference.

adrienne10 [Nebraska, USA
jewelmcjem [Michigan, USA]

Allecia [Oregon, USA]
Wandeca [Ontario, Canada]
snowmyst [West Virgina, USA]

Some guidelines to help the book on its journey:

1 On receiving the book write a journal entry so we can all keep track of where it is.
2 I will note people who already have had the book and its current location in colored type.
3 The person with the book PM's the next one on the list for their address.

Thank you so much for participating!

Journal Entry 3 by jamieh2003 from Wiley Ford, West Virginia USA on Monday, May 24, 2004
They arrived safe and sound today adrienne. Thanks for including me on the ring I should have them read and on the way to meshe within the next few days.

Journal Entry 4 by jamieh2003 from Wiley Ford, West Virginia USA on Thursday, May 27, 2004
I really enjoyed this tale of dark fantasy by Bishop. I especially liked the way she used characters based on mythological beings (i.e. Saeton, and Cassandra) and presented a different side to their stories. I found it didn't bother me that she used Saeton and Lucivar as sympathetic characters in fact I thought it was an unusual literary twist and applaud her boldness.

There were many different characters that I enjoyed throughout this tale of power(Surreal, for one). I agree that this is not for children and perhaps the faint of heart as well since Bishop does graphically describe some brutal things in this story. This is the kind of fantasy tale I've been hungering for and I want to thank adrienne10 for including me on this ring. I'm beginning the second installment today and hope to have all three finished and in the mail to meshe by Tuesday (Monday is Memorial Day)

Journal Entry 5 by jamieh2003 at on Wednesday, June 02, 2004
Release planned for Thursday, June 03, 2004 at Book Ring in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

to meshe via media mail

Journal Entry 6 by meshe from Bonaire, Georgia USA on Saturday, June 12, 2004
the books arrived in hot and humid Georgia and since I've just finished another bookring, I'll get started with these tonite. I'm just a little intimidated to have 3 books arrive together, but will hopefully not take too much time.

Journal Entry 7 by meshe from Bonaire, Georgia USA on Sunday, June 20, 2004
I've finished the first in this trilogy and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. These books aren't my typical fare, and I was put off with all the weirdly spelled names and places. I'm surely glad that I pushed my way through the first chapter and hung on to read the entire book. This book did have some very disturbing scenes and I would definitely not allow my 13 year old to read it. I'll go ahead and mail this on to the next in line for this bookring. I've started the second book and hope to finish it within a week. Thanks adrienne10 for introducing me to this new author and genre.

Journal Entry 8 by meshe at By Mail in Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 30, 2004
Released on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 at By Mail in Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring Controlled Releases.

sorry for the delay in mailing. life got in the way. off in today's mail to talkland in England.

Journal Entry 9 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 28, 2004
Finally got around to doing a journal entry! I have read the first couple of chapters and enjoying the story so far. I will journal again when I have finished the book...

Journal Entry 10 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 08, 2004
I've received the first two books, but can't get to them immediately as have three rings ahead of them! Let me know if this is a problem - although I am a fairly fast reader.

Journal Entry 11 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 16, 2004
Aargh! I just spent ten minutes writing a journal entry on this book, then my connection went down and I lost it.
To summarise: This book is powerful, compelling stuff, with darkness and humour, tragedy and warmth. It will make you want to cry, to hit someone, to hold someone, to laugh. What it won't do is let you put it down and forget it. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, and hope I will see part three soon. This one is on it's way to Tehuti on Saturday.
Thank you!!

Journal Entry 12 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, September 24, 2004
Received a couple of days ago - apologies for late journalling. I'm looking forward to a good read here!

Journal Entry 13 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, December 09, 2004
Gosh!!! I'm still reeling from this first part of the trilogy. It consists of very powerful writing. It is a book that makes heavy demands on the reader, due to the complexity of the setting and the plot, and more delicate (squeamish)folks will be additionally challenged. Basically, it takes place in a series of parallel worlds inhabited by a demon race, whose members are either living or dead but still active, other fantastical beings, and humans somewhere in the background. There is much darkness, but also compassion, tenderness and love. A young girl, who is seemingly incompetent in the basic abilities of witchcraft nevertheless manages to cross between the worlds and do things that have been thought impossible. She is sucked into a web of power games and at the same time must battle with the darkness within her own family. In order to survive, she must form some extraordinary friendships.

Journal Entry 14 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, December 11, 2004
Sent to wiblick today

Journal Entry 15 by wiblick from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, December 22, 2004
Chocolate and a book, the world is a very good place, have already started and am enjoying it so far, can I have jewels please? 26 of them, I think I'd make an excellent Witch. I'm already putting the trilogy on my wishlist!

I won't send this on again until January 4th as I don't want it to get lost in the Christmas affected post. Will update this journal entry then.

Journal Entry 16 by lady-sybil from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, March 01, 2005
This arrived yesterday and I have started it last night and I really like what I have read thus far. Thanks, adrienne10, for adding me to the bookring after it started travelling already, it was very kind of you :-)

Journal Entry 17 by lady-sybil from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, March 08, 2005
I have finished reading this book last week, a few days after receiving it and I enjoyed it immensely! What a riverting read, I did not want to put it down before it was done.

The only problem I have is with the names Saetan, Lucivar, Daemon, Cassandra etc. - I feel the author could have been a bit more original in her choice of names. The story takes place in a different universe and these names does not really have any relevance. But that is just me. Apart from that one little detail the book was darkly compelling and enjoyable. I do agree with some of the previous journallers that some sections requires a strong stomach but I feel that Anne Bishop was able to maintain a fine balance between being too graphic and not giving enough details.

I'm glad that I had the next book in the series handy so I could dive right in and find out what happened next :-)

Journal Entry 18 by lady-sybil from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, April 19, 2005
OK it took a while to get the address of the next reader. Both snowmyst and cait017 seem to have retired from BookCrossing since signing up for this bookring. I received a response from jewelmcjem and all three books are wrapped up and ready to be mailed to her this week. Sorry for hanging on to them this long.

Mailed to jewemcjem: 20 April 2005

Journal Entry 19 by jewelmcjem from Trenton, Michigan USA on Friday, June 10, 2005
I was excited to begin reading when I saw that it was well-spoken of by Charles de Lint. His writing is nothing like this, but I love his books and would go on his recommendation any day! I really enjoyed this series. At first, I thought perhaps it was a vampire novel, but with a different slant than most. Although one of the characters did have some vampiristic traits, it wasn't what drove the story at all. Very different than your typical fantasy novel -- good and evil are exactly the opposite of who you often expect. As a Christian, the names of the characters being so close to Satan, Lucifer, and Demon bothered me at first, but the story line is very fictional and doesn't appear in any way to parallel any Judeo-Christian religious ideas in any way, shape, or form. Very interesting series, the first one drew me right in and the rest swept me along. While it is a dark novel, and there are sexual elements, it is NOT an erotic fantasy novel. The sexual elements are not to titillate you, but rather used to show the character of the people/beings involved. I'm glad they were all sent at once, it was great to read them all together. I would have read them in one sitting if it weren't for pesky little interruptions like my children and husband wanting to be taken care of and fed!!! I'm contacting the next on the list for an address and should have them in the mail within a couple of days.