Data, A Love Story: How I Gamed Online Dating to Meet My Match

by Amy Webb | |
Registered by Prisaneify29 of Centennial, Colorado USA on 9/10/2014
Journal Entry 1 by Prisaneify29 from Centennial, Colorado USA on Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Interesting book about online dating

Journal Entry 2 by Prisaneify29 at Columbia, Missouri USA on Saturday, September 20, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (9/20/2014 UTC) at Columbia, Missouri USA

On its way to msjoanna :)

Journal Entry 3 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Wednesday, October 29, 2014
This arrived a while back, but just realized it never got a journal entry. Thanks for sending.

Journal Entry 4 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2015
I wanted to like this book. I wanted to like the author. Sadly, nope and nope. The author comes across as neurotic, whiny, a tad unethical, and surprisingly vicious. The book has a good project, but it never hit the mark as either advice or an interesting memoir. The author showed almost none of her softer emotions. She tells us that her mother had terminal cancer and that she felt sad. But there's no vulnerability, no opening of her heart to the reader -- just factual telling. She recounts her bad dates in funny, but detached, language.

Her method of "gaming" online dating is both overly complicated and overly obvious. She engages a complicated research project that involves creating ten fake male profiles to interact with women to inspect the "competition." This is creepy and seems somewhat unethical to me. While she creates rules for the interactions to try to prevent unethical line-crossing (e.g., no more than three interactions with any woman), I still found it wrong. Not the crime of the century, but wrong nonetheless. And she analyzes word choice and interactions to come to the completely unsurprising realization that her profile should have good pictures and be relatively upbeat and approachable.

She also comes up with a 72 point list of requirements for a partner and a scoring system. In an author that I'd come to root for and like, I might have found this list endearing if silly, but since I found the author rather off-putting, I found the list seriously ridiculous and neurotic instead.

Finally, the book suffers from the smug, happy-ending that seems to be part of the format for these quarter-life-crisis books, but that's really pretty annoying. Right from the start, she tells you that things worked out and she met her happily-ever-after husband. And I suppose she wouldn't have much credibility writing about how to game the system if it hadn't worked. But it still feels awfully smug: "Look at me all happy and married. My life was incomplete until I finally met the right man. Take my advice and you can too...."

Journal Entry 5 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Saturday, August 24, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (8/24/2019 UTC) at Columbia, Missouri USA