The Member of the Wedding

by Carson McCullers | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjlautnerwing of Henderson, Nevada USA on 9/11/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Thursday, September 11, 2014
Arrived some time in the last three weeks, while I was out of town, from a betterworldbooks seller.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Tuesday, December 30, 2014
I thought I had written this long ago but come to find out no, I had just throught about what I would say.

So it has been a little while since I read it.

It is a rather sweet story of a young girl who has delusions about her immediate future. She lives in an older, poor part of town and believes she belongs elsewhere. In other words, she has an imagination. Her imagination takes flight when her sister (I think) is going to get married, in another city. She builds a story in her head about how the newly wedded couple will take her along with them to live.

No amount of discussion with others will change her mind. Not that they always understand what she is going on about. She has long talks with the woman who works for her family and with a younger boy who lives down the street. The odd trio develops a bond and almost anything can be discussed among them.

It is a sweet story that covers some of the same ground as The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, in a different, lighter way.

Released 6 yrs ago (4/5/2015 UTC) at Little Free Library on San Marcos Ct. in San Luis Obispo, California USA

Inside the box.