Blackfly Season

by Giles Blunt | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Minerva101 of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 9/5/2014
Journal Entry 1 by Minerva101 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 05, 2014
This one is my most favorite book by Giles Blunt! Please see reviews by myself and other Calgary bookcrossers for a different copy of this book here
I picked up this gently used copy for the Mystery/Thriller VBB hosted by Bookstogive

About the book (from Indigo.ca)
Red Bear stood close to the fire and stretched toward the sky, every muscle in his body straining. The veins in his neck stood out like electrical cords. His voice had gone thin and raspy and the words came streaming out of him with a terrible urgency. The words- if in fact they were words - collided with one another. [Blackfly Season, page 94]

According to Detective John Cardinal, the truly diabolical thing about blackflies is their stealthy silence; there is no warning and no chance of a pre-emptive strike. Every year at the beginning of May, the blackflies take over Algonquin Bay, swarming in clouds out of their winter wombs in the standing water of lakes, creeks and swamps.

But this year, the blackflies aren't the only ones to make their way into town. A self-proclaimed shaman and card-carrying member of the Chippewa First Nations has also arrived. Known only as Red Bear, the mysterious figure has recruited three young men from town who share a history of drug use and living on the fringe.

And Red Bear isn't the only mysterious visitor. At the World Tavern, the oldest but perhaps least reputable bar in the city of Algonquin Bay, OPP officer Jerry Commanda is enjoying his regular Friday night Diet Coke with a squeeze of lemon. He meets a young red-haired woman who is unable to tell him her name, where she lives, or how she came to be at the World Tavern. It's not until a hospital X-ray reveals a bullet lodged in her brain that the reason for her amnesia becomes clear.

When John Cardinal and Lise Delorme are called in to take over the case from Commanda, they don't have a lot of leads on who this mysterious redhead is, let alone why someone would want her dead. And when the mutilated body of a member of the local biker gang the Viking Riders is discovered near long columns of bizarre hieroglyphics, Cardinal and Delorme begin to suspect that it is isn't just Viking Rider justice.

Despite the climbing body count, Cardinal is distracted. His wife, Catherine, has left to go to Toronto with a group of her photography students and Cardinal is convinced that the stress and excitement of the trip will push her to the breaking point. His worst fears are confirmed when a call reaches him from a student concerned by Catherine's erratic behaviour. Cardinal speeds to Toronto to reach his wife before she unravels.

When Cardinal returns, a third body turns up with a bullet from the same gun that shot the redhead. Linking the three murders and finding out who's responsible becomes an intricate game of unravelling the secrets of families and decoding the mysteries of an ancient form of African voodoo.

From the Hardcover edition.

Journal Entry 2 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, February 16, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (2/17/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Finally packaged up and mailed to aetm as her selection from bookstogive's
Mystery/Thriller VBB
My apologies for the tardiness - I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2015
Hi Minerva,

Oops - I forgot to journal an entry when I received this book. It arrived safely a while back.
My bad. Life has been getting on the way of reading a bit - so I'm reading quite a few audiobooks (in a fast speed) nowadays & learning to read the bumps too (braille that is).
So the reading pace has slowed down quite a bit (or changed forms) ~ but I can still find my ways to read this. i can't resist good crime books - even if it means reading them much slower and finding the type of reading environment that does not hurt my eyes but allows me still to read. <3

Journal Entry 4 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Friday, January 22, 2021
Finally found the book again and enjoyed it :) (I tried to hunt for an audio version a while back, no luck, so voice dream and ebook - wanted to enjoy the story and tackle some of the mount TBR on the same time).
I liked the book quite a bit. Lots of interesting characters, places, and things not in most procedurals or detective stories. And it's not just located somewhere in random US place either.
But... it felt also quite dark and heavy on the psychological side. Not maybe that much for all the events in the book, more for some bad memories triggered by listening to the book. And I wonder how different it would have felt to read this not during this dread year of everything closed everywhere. I wanted to savour this on a trip somewhere, a holiday with some travel, but it'll take a while before that can happen safely. So savoured home, and hoping it'll find some readers close to home now. At least many little free libraries are still out there and open, while the libraries aren't.

Journal Entry 5 by aetm at Little Free Library, See Notes in Austin, Texas USA on Friday, January 22, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/22/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, See Notes in Austin, Texas USA

In the little free library box on Brookdale Lane ~ happy hunting

Safe journey little book - I hope you'll make many new friends on your travels!

"Don't ever apologize to an author for buying something in paperback, or taking it out from a library (that's what they're there for. Use your library). Don't apologize to this author for buying books second hand, or getting them from bookcrossing or borrowing a friend's copy. What's important to me is that people read the books and enjoy them, and that, at some point in there, the book was bought by someone. And that people who like things, tell other people. The most important thing is that people read... "
— Neil Gaiman

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)