Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders (Oscar Wilde Mystery)

by Gyles Brandreth | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 0719569303 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Roobarb14 of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 9/4/2014
Journal Entry 1 by Roobarb14 from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 04, 2014
Book Description
In OSCAR WILDE AND THE CANDLELIGHT MURDERS, the first in Gyles Brandreth's acclaimed Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries series featuring Oscar Wilde and Arthur Conan Doyle, the brutal murder of a young rent-boy puts Oscar in grave danger... 'Intelligent, amusing and entertaining' Alexander McCall Smith

About the Author
Gyles Brandreth is a writer, performer, former MP and government whip whose career has ranged from hosting Have I Got News For You to starring in his own award-winning musical revue in London's West End. Currently a reporter with The One Show on BBC1 and a regular on Radio 4's Just a Minute, his acclaimed Victorian detective stories - The Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries - are now being published in nineteen countries around the world and are currently in development for TV. All six books in the series, Oscar Wilde and the Candellight Murders, Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death, Oscar Wilde and the Dead Man's Smile, Oscar Wilde and the Nest of Vipers, Oscar Wilde and the Vatican Murders and Oscar Wilde and the Murders at Reading Gaol are available from John Murray. You can find out more about the Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries at www.oscarwildemurdermysteries.com and at www.johnmurray.co.uk and about Gyles at www.gylesbrandreth.net

Journal Entry 2 by Roobarb14 at The Brigantes Tavern in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (3/28/2017 UTC) at The Brigantes Tavern in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Off to find a new reader!

Journal Entry 3 by LNicoll at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 22, 2017
A strange one. The narrator spends so much time gushing about Wilde that I ended up really disliking both of their characters and ended up not enjoying the book as much.

Journal Entry 4 by LNicoll at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 22, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (4/25/2017 UTC) at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Released at bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 5 by sherdnerdess at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 28, 2018
Picked up at O(ctober2017 meetup in preparation for colours month. Apparently I forgot to journal. Sorry! The author is funny on HIGNFY despite his political affiliations.

Released 1 yr ago (8/15/2018 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Forgot to take the other day so leaving on the shelf on my way past. First of a series. Very entertaining with some serious angles. The story moves along on every page. Diverting. Would recommend for a light-hearted murder mystery.

Journal Entry 7 by wingDelticwing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Picked up yesterday in York. Not sure whether to read it or take to Leeds meetup.

Journal Entry 8 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 11, 2019
I struggled with this for the first 100 pages, but I don't like to give up on a book, unless it's really bad. The book grabbed me after that and I would definitely read more of the series.

Journal Entry 9 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 14, 2019
Thank you, Deltic. I've enjoyed a couple of these in the past, OW and the Vatican Murders and OW and the Dead Man’s Smile, but for some reason didn't make good on my promise to read more. I guess none crossed my path until now . . . . Thank you :-)

Journal Entry 10 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Well that didn't take long. As it was the only unread novel in my possession that I hadn't registered myself, it overtook all others and jumped to the very top of the reading queue . . . and I've finished it already! Thoroughly enjoyed it, just as I expected I would. Thank you again, Deltic! Much appreciated :-) Now where?

Journal Entry 11 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Ripley, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 09, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/9/2019 UTC) at Ripley, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Carrying Christmas and New Year Greetings to a BookCrossing friend. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 11, 2019
Thank you for this RABCK Nu-knees. Oscar Wilde, Conan Doyle & Gyles Brandreth wouldn't be a combination I would've put together so expecting it to be good fun.