How the Light Gets In: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel

Where Has This Book Been?
by Louise Penny | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/18/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, October 18, 2014
I've been enjoying this series very much, and was delighted to find this one, the next-unread book on my list, on the bargain rack at Barnes and Noble.

Later: I loved this book, which brings together several long-running complications from earlier books - including Jean-Guy Beauvoir's devastating fall from grace in The Beautiful Mystery, and the increasing pressure on Gamache from his archrival - and boss - Francoeur. And the story also features several strong ties to the near-magical village of Three Pines, starting with Myrna's request to Gamache to find out what happened to a friend and former client of hers who's overdue for a Christmas visit. The identity of the missing woman leads to a fascinating and heart-wrenching case (that's clearly patterned on a real-life family), and while it does not intersect directly with Gamache's investigation of another woman's death, it does offer reasons for repeated visits to Three Pines, something that becomes a key plot point later on.

There's so much going on in this story, much of it very depressing and increasingly scary, that I was on the edge of my seat most of the time. It wasn't until fairly late in the story that I began to learn what Gamache's plan was, and even then there were no guarantees that he'd succeed. Heck, when he realized the full magnitude of his enemy's master plan, he's stunned - even he didn't think they'd go that far...

Wonderful suspense, touches of humor, lots of interaction between all my favorite characters - and did I mention the suspense? And with a conclusion that really brought me to emotional extremes, including laughter and tears. Excellent entry in this excellent series - though I admit that much of its power has to do with my growing fondness for the characters after reading the previous books. As so many of the characters have, I've fallen in love with Three Pines!

[See also Still Life, the first in the series. And there's a very good audiobook version of this novel, narrated by Ralph Cosham.]

Released 4 yrs ago (6/29/2015 UTC) at Little Free Library, Sunny Meadow Farm in Chelmsford, Massachusetts USA

I had a delightful time finding the Little Free Library at this location - turns out it's tucked away among the buildings, and is at the end of the utterly charming "story path", a meandering trail of mowed grass and clover that is studded with images from children's books. (The current story is "The Carrot Seed", appropriate for a location at a farm and community garden!) Now that I know where the LFL is (it's not far from the parking lot) I won't have to follow the trail each time, but I might do that anyway to check out the next story.

Left this book at around 1; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2015 Canada Days release challenge. ***