Black Butterfly: A Lucifer Box Novel (Lucifer Box 3)

by Mark Gatiss | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by stephjb of Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on 8/30/2014
Journal Entry 1 by stephjb from Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, August 30, 2014
Bought new in 2009.

Journal Entry 2 by stephjb at Polegate, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 03, 2014
Good but not great. Black Butterfly is the third of the Lucifer Box spy trilogy and now our ageing hero is in the time of the new Queen Elizabeth. Unfortunately I think it is the time period, or lack of it, which lets Black Butterfly down. Gatiss still invents a wonderfully implausible plot, ridiculously named characters and splendid escapades. However, what made Vesuvius Club such a great read for me was its steampunky sense of period and the equivalent just doesn't come across in Black Butterfly. That said, I have still read the whole trilogy multiple times - praise indeed - and all three are fun, but they seem to fade along with Lucifer. Perhaps that's the point?

Journal Entry 3 by stephjb at Wealden District Council Refectory in Hailsham, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (9/4/2014 UTC) at Wealden District Council Refectory in Hailsham, East Sussex United Kingdom

On the bookshelves in the refectory