A Town Like Alice

by Nevil Shute | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 8/30/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Saturday, August 30, 2014
Read this a few years ago - here's my review from back then:
This book was even better than I expected, turned out to be quite a pageturner and certainly deserves its place amont the 1001 book you must read before you die. The protagonist, Jean Paget, is an extraordinary woman and I enjoyed following her life from Japanese-occupied Malaya back to post-war England and then to the Australian outback of the 50s. Shute's style is quite matter of fact, with detailed descriptions. It starts very dry, but then takes off quickly when Jean starts telling her story and takes the reader to Kuala Lumpur...

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (4/10/2015 UTC) at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Convention wishlist surprise!

Journal Entry 3 by bloedengel at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, April 13, 2015
Thank you ! It was so nice meeting you again.
I think we should at least mark our calendars for Athens 2016. I loved it.
I also think it is cool that this book has a Nottinghamlabel in it.
Thank you Apoloniax !

Journal Entry 4 by bloedengel at Vosselaar, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, January 06, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (1/6/2017 UTC) at Vosselaar, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Very interesting 1001-book. Not a very happy one ... This one gets to continue it's travels by the help of hoera :à

Journal Entry 5 by bloedengel at Vosselaar, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, January 06, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (1/6/2017 UTC) at Vosselaar, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Journal Entry 6 by winghoerawing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Sunday, January 15, 2017
Will take this book to the meeting this afternoon in Eindhoven.

Journal Entry 7 by winghoerawing at OBCZ Café ZwartWit in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, January 15, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (1/15/2017 UTC) at OBCZ Café ZwartWit in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Veel leesplezier !
Bonne lecture !
Happy reading !

Journal Entry 8 by letterplank at Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, January 15, 2017
I took the book home from the very nice meeting in ZwartWit. It's going to find a place in my little libary soon.

Journal Entry 9 by letterplank at OBCZ-Westerpark in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, January 12, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (1/14/2018 UTC) at OBCZ-Westerpark in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Dit boek neem ik mee naar de nieuwjaarsmeeting :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingFifnawing at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, January 14, 2018
Got it at the New Year's meetup in Amsterdam. I read this book (the same edition) years ago and loved it. It was still on the table at the end of the day and I thought I'd take it, possibly re-read and then I think I have a sweepstake in mind it can go to.

Journal Entry 11 by wingFifnawing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Saturday, February 03, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (2/3/2018 UTC) at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland

Travelling as a prize in the Classis Sweepstakes.

Journal Entry 12 by wingbookwormesswing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Saturday, February 10, 2018
Thank you Fifna, the book arrived yesterday. :) I've never heard of this book, but the author's name is somehow familiar. This one will be an interesting one tho read as I have no expectations (except my fear for classics...).

Journal Entry 13 by wingbookwormesswing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Wednesday, April 03, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (4/3/2019 UTC) at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland

On it's way to the next reader as it's on the BBC's The Big Read Top 100 Books list. :)

**********************************
Congratulations, you've found a book I've released in the wild. It's yours now - you can keep it, give to someone you know or release it back in the wild. Thank you for letting me know you've found it! If you want, you're welcome to join Bookcrossing.com. :)

Journal Entry 14 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, April 05, 2019
Good grief this one's a well-travelled one! And it's in such a great condition... Thank you ever so much for this perfect surprise, bookwormess!

Journal Entry 15 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, May 23, 2020
How am I supposed to concentrate on reading WHEN THE JAM'S TOWN CALLED MALICE IS ON REPEAT IN MY HEAD?!

Journal Entry 16 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, May 26, 2020
I'm not quite sure what I was expecting from the book, and it kinda threw me off - surely wasn't expecting a war romance! Spent some time googling the WWII events on Sumatra, for the women's march was a daunting piece of history, had never heard of it before reading the book. Not sure how much I actually enjoyed the plot itself, but it's pure escapism in the age of true crime, nordic noir and corona.

Oh, and the song still hasn't left me.

Journal Entry 17 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (5/27/2020 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Off to a wishlist reader!

Journal Entry 18 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 02, 2020
Thank you so much for this surprise RABCK! It really brightened my day. I shall do my best to get it read and passed on as soon as I can.