The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 5)

by C. S. Lewis | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/29/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 29, 2014
I found this good-condition paperback at the Book Cellar, and nabbed it for another release copy.

I've enjoyed Lewis' Narnia books since I first read them (which wasn't until I was in college, fwiw!), and the voyage of the Dawn Treader is as fascinating a sea-going adventure as ever, perhaps my favorite book in the series. It has the contrast of newcomer Eustace, whose education up to this point has not suited him at ALL for a fantasy world that one can enter by falling into a painting; in fact, it's his journey towards a wider world that makes up much of the story, and includes some very scary bits as well as some funny ones. And some heartwarming moments, too, such as the kindness of Reepicheep to bespelled-Eustace, despite all of Eustace's rudeness early on.

The voyage itself leads the characters to many strange places, with magic that is both funny and terrifying - Lucy's temptation scene is pretty dramatic. Then there's the discovery of the fates of each of the seven lost lords, some of whom have done fairly well while others have perished - or worse. Young King Caspian learns some painful lessons himself, and challenges are faced and managed - another delightful trip to Narnia! Perhaps my favorite bit comes early on, when some of the party have been captured by slavers - and nobody will bid on bad-tempered little Eustace, who realizes that while it's appalling to be sold as a slave, it's insulting to be the kind of slave nobody will buy...

The 2010 film has some wonderful visual effects, but it monkeys with the plot a good deal, especially regarding the fate of Eustace-under-a-spell and the island-of-dreams. So - an OK film, but diverging from the book more than I'd have liked.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book with some entertaining info, but do beware of spoilers.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Park and Ride (at Exit 2) bookshelf in Salem, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 29, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (8/29/2014 UTC) at Park and Ride (at Exit 2) bookshelf in Salem, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on the book-swap shelf in the bus terminal at the Exit 2 park-and-ride in Salem at around 3 or so; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released for 2014 Travel challenge. ***