Generation A

by DOUGLAS COUPLAND | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 8/24/2014
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, August 24, 2014
I don't know how I missed this, a sequel to Generation X! From a v. posh Oxfam bookshop in Balham - visiting DD in SW London...

(12/12/15) OK [Esther], so Douglas Coupland does write a lot of similar novels, and there are a lot of familiar elements here…but, good is good, and if you like it that’s alright isn’t it? This coming from a Lee Child/Jack Reacher fan ;)

(Warning: a bit spoily)
This is set in a near future world bereft of bees and with a Solon-addicted disconnected population. Five apparently random twenty-somethings are stung and immediately whisked off to neutrality chambers to try to find out why these individuals from all over the planet were ‘chosen’. We don’t know that big Pharma is involved until later on (although the clues are there to see), when the 5 are bought together on a remote British Columbian island to attempt to understand what makes them, their behaviours, thinking patterns and neuro-proteins unique.

The books title comes from a Kurt Vonnegut quote – which is quite cool on its own – and I feel that DC tries on some of the great man’s clothes, especially with the long middle-section about storytelling.

Book-loving nerds (like me!) will appreciate that reading and its effect on the mind and dare I say ‘mindfulness’ are an important part of the plot…although it all gets a bit muddled IMHO

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, December 12, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (12/12/2015 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

This is going to our pre-Christmas meet-up to be shared and help fill the bookshelves in Coffee Link...and other places...

If you find this book, welcome to BookCrossing.

Don't be shelfish. Read, enjoy, pass on (and write a journal entry!)

Journal Entry 3 by Semioticghost at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, December 13, 2015
I like Coupland, even though he often writes the same book, so I was tempted and relented!