The Periodic Kingdom: A Journey into the Land of the Chemical Elements (Science Masters Series)

by P. W. Atkins | Science |
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 8/9/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, August 09, 2014
Seems a bit over my head, but will reserve it for another reader, probably through the nonfiction bookbox.

Amazon:
Come on a journey into the heart of matter—and enjoy the process!—as a brilliant scientist and entertaining tour guide takes you on a fascinating voyage through the Periodic Kingdom, the world of the elements. The periodic table, your map for this trip, is the most important concept in chemistry. It hangs in classrooms and labs throughout the world, providing support for students, suggesting new avenues of research for professionals, succinctly organizing the whole of chemistry. The one hundred or so elements listed in the table make up everything in the universe, from microscopic organisms to distant planets. Just how does the periodic table help us make sense of the world around us? Using vivid imagery, ingenious analogies, and liberal doses of humor P. W. Atkins answers this question. He shows us that the Periodic Kingdom is a systematic place. Detailing the geography, history and governing institutions of this imaginary landscape, he demonstrates how physical similarities can point to deeper affinities, and how the location of an element can be used to predict its properties. Here’s an opportunity to discover a rich kingdom of the imagination kingdom of which our own world is a manifestation.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Little Free Library, Woodcrest Dr. in Tewksbury, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 28, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/27/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Woodcrest Dr. in Tewksbury, Massachusetts USA

Taking advantage of an unexpected day off, to do some releasing (and geocaching).
Left in the LFL at about 1:30. Hope it finds a new reader!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 24, 2018
Spotted this in the LFL while dropping off some books of my own, and couldn't resist it!

Later: An unusual and intriguing way of looking at the periodic table of elements, rendering them in various graphic forms and as types of terrain! While I didn't find this one quite as readable as The Disappearing Spoon or Uncle Tungsten, my favorite books on the periodic table, this one has some very unique points!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Wonderland Park in Windham, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (11/7/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Wonderland Park in Windham, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***