The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bookowl1000 of Foshan, Guangdong China on 7/22/2014
Journal Entry 1 by bookowl1000 from Foshan, Guangdong China on Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Have you ever picked up a book and wondered where it had been before, well welcome to the world of bookcrossing!

Bookcrossing is a wonderful place to share your love of reading with people all over the world and follow a book as it continues on its travels.

Please journal this book, describing where you found it, and then if you want to, what you thought of it. You can remain anonymous if you want to, though if you create a screen name you will be able to get notification each time someone else journals this book in the future.

When you have finished with it please release the book by leaving it somewhere where it will be found (please make a journal entry stating where you left it), and let it continue its journey.

Help keep its journey alive!Following this books travels can be very fun.
..............................................................................................

Journal Entry 2 by bookowl1000 at Ringwood, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Modern ideas get tangled up with traditional ones in the latest intriguing installment in the beloved, best-selling No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series.

Precious Ramotswe has taken on two puzzling cases. First she is approached by the lawyer Mma Sheba, who is the executor of a deceased farmer’s estate. Mma Sheba has a feeling that the young man who has stepped forward may be falsely impersonating the farmer’s nephew in order to claim his inheritance. Mma Ramotswe agrees to visit the farm and find out what she can about the self-professed nephew. Then the proprietor of the Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon comes to Mma Ramotswe for advice. The opening of her new salon has been shadowed by misfortune. Not only has she received a bad omen in the mail, but rumors are swirling that the salon is using dangerous products that burn people’s skin. Could someone be trying to put the salon out of business?

Meanwhile, at the office, Mma Ramotswe has noticed something different about Grace Makutsi lately. Though Mma Makutsi has mentioned nothing, it has become clear that she is pregnant . . . But in Botswana—a land where family has always been held above all else—this may be cause for controversy as well as celebration.

With genuine warmth, sympathy, and wit, Alexander McCall Smith explores some tough questions about married life, parenthood, grief, and the importance of the traditions that shape and guide our lives.

This is the fourteenth installment in the series.

Journal Entry 3 by bookowl1000 at Ringwood, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 22, 2014
I have decided to share these books as a book spiral as I consider it a shame that such a delightful series just sits on my shelf unread by others.

1. No.1 Ladies Detective Agency
12. The Saturday Big Tent Party
13. The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection
14. The minor Adjustment Beauty Salon

They are all paperbacks of the same size: 12.5cm x 19.5cm x 1.5cm, 231g

Click on the links to keep track of where each book is.

Jonniboi UK (UK)
wal-89 UK (UK/EUR)
Appelsiini Finland (Itnl)
lunatum Finland (Itnl)
greenbadger UK (Itnl)
back to me in China

See entry for first book about spiral rules.

Journal Entry 4 by bookowl1000 at Ringwood, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (7/22/2014 UTC) at Ringwood, Hampshire United Kingdom

Posted to jonniboy...enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by Jonniboi at Kings Norton, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, July 24, 2014
Wow this came quickly! Got a few books in front to read, but will read them as quickly as I can! :)

Journal Entry 6 by Jonniboi at Kings Norton, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Back to Botswana we go, I love hearing about a whole different life. I feel like the characters are people we personally know and understand wholly. I like how we are getting to know these people more and more, and as always I feel like I'm transported into their world in Botswana.

I have only just noticed the disappearance of Mr. Polopetsi, I was never quite fond of him, but still I get annoyed when a character just vanishes, as he has. After a quick search on the internet, it seems Alexander McCall Smith has quite a lot of inconsistency within this series, which begs to question whether he is quite the great author we all initially thought he is. I love his writing style, and it works well with this series, but the inability to remember certain aspects of this series makes me feel sad, as this series would be so much more if it were consistent along with explanations.

I loved the storyline, and I definitely imagined Mma Makutsi's baby as the cutest thing in the world, and Charlie manages to surprise us all doesn't he.

As for the detective cases, these were intriguing, and both of which ended up shocking, although I felt we missed crucial points at the end, we never read about Mma Ramotswe telling the lawyer about what she found out, and we never saw her confront the culprit to the Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon. Therefore not quite wrapping things up.

Mr. J.L.B. Maketoni gave us a bit of humour within this book, that made me smile, even just the thought of it made me smile.

Phuti's aunt once again butts in and gets on my nerves. Alexander McCall Smith has introduced a fine character in the her!

There are various jokes the characters say within the book, that got a few chuckles out of me here and there.

Overall, a nice light-hearted read, as always. A few inconsistency within the book, that is making me question the series overall... But I plan on ignoring it and hoping that it all gets resolved one way or another. Mr. Polopetsi just has to return somehow, or at least mentioned.

Will send off when I can!

Journal Entry 7 by Jonniboi at Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (11/12/2014 UTC) at Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom

Thought I sent this a month ago, so imagine my surprise when I finally got around to unpacking my last box in my new uni house, and finding this at the bottom.

As soon as I saw it, I put it in a package and sent it on to the next person, so sorry I took so long to send it, was pretty sure I sent it off before I even started back at uni.

Journal Entry 8 by wal-89 at Congleton, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 20, 2014
Arrived safely a few weeks ago :-) thank you for sending! Can't believe this is the end of the bookring!

Journal Entry 9 by wal-89 at Congleton, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 20, 2014
Had a few train rides recently and managed to get this book finished today. I like reading this series, the books are easy to read and you learn a bit more about each character as the series goes on. I agree with Jonniboi, where did Mr Polopetsi disappear to? I always thought he was a bit of a nothing character but don't like how he just isn't mentioned anymore. This book seemed to highlight how much time has passed, with plenty of references to the length of time since Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi met.

I enjoyed the aunt of Rra Radiphuti being part of this book and liked the development of Mma Makutsi's character. I'm not sure about her rushing back to work. I also agree with Jonniboi about the lack of summary with the two detective cases. Although we know they were resolved, we don't know what happened when the people were informed. I am sad that the bookring series has ended but will look forward to the next one whenever I get to read it :-)

Thanks for organising and sharing :-)
Will be sent off after Christmas with the other book

Journal Entry 10 by wal-89 at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 09, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (3/19/2015 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

To be posted by my boyfriend who will be visiting Finland next week some time. Happy travels little book :-)

Journal Entry 11 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, March 27, 2015
Arrived safely to Finland, thanks for sending! :)