Carpe Jugulum: A Novel of Discworld

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy | This book has not been rated.
Registered by siriradha of Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on 1/19/2004
Journal Entry 1 by siriradha from Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Monday, January 19, 2004
Hardcover retired library book purchased at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop to pass along through bookcrossing.

From The Critics
Publisher's Weekly
Carpe Jugulum--seize the throat--is the motto of the family of "vampyres" who attempt a hospitable takeover of the kingdom of Lancre in Pratchett's 23rd Discworld novel. When the goodhearted king invited the Magpyrs to celebrate the birth of his daughter, he couldn't know that these modern bloodsuckers would have no intention of leaving. By controlling everyone's mind, they try to turn Lancre into a sort of farm, and no one can think straight enough to stop them. That is, until the vampyres meet up with the local witches: Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Magrat Garlick and Agnes Nitt (who is literally of two minds about everything). The perplexing skirmishes that ensue will leave readers shaking their heads in hearty dismay even as they groan at the puns and explanatory notes that pepper the tale. Death (scythe and all) and Igor (of Frankenstein film fame) provide the best gags. The novel exudes the curious feel of old-fashioned vampire and Frankenstein legends--full of holy water, religious symbols, stakes through the heart, angry mobs, bad pronunciation and garlic. The vampyres, however, have risen above these clich s even if their servant, Igor, still has a taste for dribbly candles and squeaky hinges. Pratchett lampoons everything from Christian superstition to Swiss Army knives here, proving that the fantasy satire of Discworld "still ate'nt dead." (Oct.) Copyright 1999 Cahners Business Information.

Journal Entry 2 by siriradha at Perkins 3295 East Platte in Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Friday, September 16, 2005

Released at the bookcrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 3 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Saturday, September 17, 2005
Thank you! I look forward to reading this book!

Journal Entry 4 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Monday, May 23, 2016
I actually read this book some time ago. I enjoyed it, as I do all the Discworld novels. I particularly liked Agnes Nitt and the Igor.

I included this book in waternixie's Potluck Bookbox ray. I hope the next reader enjoys it.

Journal Entry 5 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Monday, May 23, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (5/23/2016 UTC) at Northglenn, Colorado USA

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by freezone at Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, June 11, 2016
I will add this to the stack of Terry Pratchett books currently taking up residence on Mt. TBR. I last read him about 20 years ago and loved the books, so am hoping I still love his stuff.

Journal Entry 7 by freezone at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, November 03, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (11/3/2017 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sometimes I am not in the mood for Terry Pratchett's antic wit, and sometimes I am. I started this book planning to stop, if the wit didn't work for me, (so that I could add it to the "wild things" bookbox, based on "carp" in the title). Instead, I found it full of fun, sharply drawn and likable characters involved in a challenging project that I cared about. Somehow, the fact that evil could be silly and dangerously annoying really worked for me right now, and I was exactly in the mood for this book to while away a few days when everything else at work and around me is a little too serious.

So, I recommend when you are looking for a bit of escapism with a British accent.....

Journal Entry 8 by wingReadertoowing at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2018
This book was left in the Wild Animals Book Box. erishkigal encouraged me to pull this and any of the books that were not animal related before mailing the box back to her. I will try to find good homes for them. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by wingReadertoowing at Richmond, Texas USA on Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Released 6 mos ago (10/15/2020 UTC) at Richmond, Texas USA

I will be donating this to the Cambridge Square Senior Apartments new library. I hope you enjoy it!