Chocolat

by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by catsalive of Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on 7/15/2014
Journal Entry 1 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 15, 2014
cover:
When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaud identifies her as a serious danger to his flock - especially as it is the beginning of Lent, the traditional season of self-denial. War is declared as the priest denounces the newcomer's wares as the ultimate sin.

Suddenly Vianne's shop-cum-cafe means that there is somewhere for secrets to be whispered, grievances to be aired, dreams to be tested. But Vianne's plans for an Easter Chocolate Festival divide the whole community in a conflict that escalates into a 'Church not Chocolate' battle. As mouths water in anticipation, can the solemnity of the Church compare with the pagan passion of a chocolate eclair?
Easy reading and very enjoyable. I saw the movie oh-so-many years ago & have only just got around to reading the book. The book conveys the slightly dreamy atmosphere much better, but I must find the movie & refresh my memory.

Journal Entry 2 by catsalive at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 07, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/7/2016 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Ellastix for the Australasia Wishlist Tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by Ellastix at Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Friday, January 15, 2016
Thanks catsalive - I also have seen the movie (multiple times as it shows up on TV fairly regularly), so I'm looking forward to reading it :-)