corner corner Paws & Effect: The Healing Power of Dogs

Paws & Effect: The Healing Power of Dogs
by Sharon Sakson | Pets & Animals
Registered by wingbookstogivewing of Springville, Tennessee USA on 7/10/2014

status (set by erpax): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Thursday, July 10, 2014

I ordered this book just for the 2014 Birthday Group on Bookcrossing, I hope you like it!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookstogivewing at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (7/10/2014 UTC) at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Releasing as part of the 2014 Birthday Group, I hope you have a Great Birthday!

To the finder of this book:

BookCrossing is free to join and a great deal of fun, completely confidential, and you may remain anonymous. If you choose to join please consider using me BOOKSTOGIVE as your referring member.

Journal Entry 3 by wingMiuMwing at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, August 04, 2014

Thank you! The birthday book arrived today! :D

Journal Entry 4 by wingMiuMwing at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, July 01, 2016

I am now finally reading this, as I reserved the book for my 10-years-of-bookcrossing-anniversary-RABCK on the Finnish BC-forum.

From Goodreads: “I am highly impressed. . . . Paws and Effect is a great book for all dog lovers!”—Temple Grandin, author of Animals in Translation

“So meaningful and straight to the heart, Paws & Effect sheds a whole new light on our communication with animals of which many people are unaware. You may listen more closely the next time your dog tries to tell you something!” – Betty White, actress, author

Dogs have always helped humans and changed our lives for the better—by herding sheep, guarding our homes, and giving us unconditional love—but our dogs may save our lives as well. PAWS & EFFECT provides individual accounts of beloved pets that have supported their families, in miraculous ways, through periods of ill health; and it reviews the science that lends credence to claims of dogs’ healing power. For the first time, the array of fascinating information on this topic has been gathered in one place.

Did you know that groundbreaking research for detecting ovarian cancer with the use of a dog’s nose has been aided by a grant from the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program? Or that an Akita named Hotei is able to predict his owner’s seizures, and gets her to lie down before they take place? That an organization called X-CPR promotes the use of small, hairless Mexican dogs to relieve the pain of arthritis and fibromyalgia? That Army Sgt. 1st Class Russell Joyce and his Special Forces, aided by Fluffy, his German Shepherd, worked with the Kurds, in Iraq, to face down looters and secure the city of Mosul?

Author Sharon Sakson’s investigation took her to academic institutions, veterinarians’ offices, dog breeders, charitable organizations, and even the military—wherein she discovered documentation for what so many of us already understand: that the loving presence of a dog can avert, and transport us through, grave illness, whether physical or psychological. More importantly, her investigation took her deep into the hearts and lives of dogs and their owners. Sakson redefines the age-old bond between human and dog—a bond that is proving to be without limits.

Journal Entry 5 by wingMiuMwing at Kittilä, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Sunday, August 14, 2016

Released 9 mos ago (8/15/2016 UTC) at Kittilä, Lappi / Lappland Finland

The book travels finally to PyryJere.
Have a nice reading experience! :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingPyryJerewing at Kittilä, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Thank you, MiuM!

I‘ll send this to erpax after reading.

Journal Entry 7 by wingPyryJerewing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, May 13, 2017

Released 1 wk ago (5/16/2017 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 8 by wingerpaxwing at Helsinki , Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, May 19, 2017

Many thanks, PyryJere! I once had this on my wishlist.