The Messenger of Athens

by Anne Zouroudi | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingLubiettewing of Kallithea, Attica Greece on 7/10/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingLubiettewing from Kallithea, Attica Greece on Thursday, July 10, 2014
The Messenger of Athens by Anne Zouroudi is set on a remote Greek island. When the battered body of a young woman is discovered, the local police are quick to dismiss her death as an accident. Then a stranger arrives, uninvited, from Athens, announcing his intention to investigate further. His methods are unorthodox, and he brings his own mystery into the web of dark secrets and lies. Who has sent him, on whose authority is he acting, and how does he know of dramas played out decades ago?

The first book in the Mysteries of the Greek Detective series, The Messenger of Athens has at its heart the sin of lust.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLubiettewing at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (7/16/2014 UTC) at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Birthday present for Marita :)

Journal Entry 3 by Chremajora at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, March 04, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (3/5/2016 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Congratulations - you won the global sweeps! Hope you enjoy my contribution, from Athens :)

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 12, 2016
Thank you, Chremajora, for this first-in-series mystery set in Athens. Sadly I won't be able to attend the convention, so this will be perfect to read during that weekend and be there in spirit. :-)

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, May 27, 2017
Well, I didn’t get to read this while the Athens convention was taking place, but I sure am glad to have gotten around to it now!

Set on a small (fictional) Greek island in winter, this was a real page-turner. It lets us see a side of Greece that’s quite different from the sun-drenched, carefree impression of many tourists. Old traditions and beliefs are ingrained, with strict gender roles and the idea of family honor found in other countries a bit further east. The mystery is almost secondary to the sense of place and culture.

But the mystery itself is made more interesting by the enigmatic detective who arrives, uninvited, from Athens to solve it. Hermes Diaktoros, “the fat man”, has some quite unorthodox investigatory methods that add to the enjoyment of this book. He has a remarkable understanding of human nature, among other qualities.

Evidently each book in this series deals with one of the Seven Deadly Sins, and this one concerns Lust. Don’t want to give away the plot, so will leave it at that!

Thanks again for sharing this, Lubiette!
---------------------------
I plan to offer this in the next round of bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller/Suspense VBB (Round 19)

Journal Entry 6 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, July 21, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (7/21/2017 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Traveling to booklady331 via bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller/Suspense VBB. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, July 25, 2017
The book arrived today. Thank you so much for sharing with me. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, April 19, 2018
Hermes Diaktoros is not a policeman, a detective, or a private investigator. He works for a 'higher authority' as he so often reminds the other characters. This allows people to believe that he is from a secret arm of the government. There is no limit to which he might not ascend or incident which he might not tackle. He has knowledge about persons that it should be very difficult to discover, yet it seems to be at his fingertips. He is the one who comes to ensure justice when justice fails.

He meets the local people and watches how they interact. He is on the scene as much to solve a tragic dilemma as to ease people's lives. He arrives out of nowhere when he is needed and leaves quietly when the troubles--everybody's troubles--have been sorted out. He is not averse to allowing the bad people pay with their lives. Justice, pure and simple. Hermes has little quirks which helps lead us in a direction that might help us determine who he really is.

There are gems that the author hides within the text.

Reserving for Iwillrejoice's "Z" author VBB