The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry: A Novel

Read and Relax...
by Gabrielle Zevin | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1616203218 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingBkind2bookswing of Clarksville, Tennessee USA on 10/31/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingBkind2bookswing from Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, October 31, 2015
From Fall 2015 FOL book sale

Journal Entry 2 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, September 04, 2016
I thought this was a lovely story - a sweet take on a literary life. AJ is a bookseller who recently lost his wife in an accident and he's not handling it well. Into his life walks two women - Amelia, a rep for a publishing house and Maya, a toddler left in his bookstore. The story is filled with quirky characters and literary references. There are a few items that seemed to stretch believability, but for me they were easily overlooked. Touching sentimental story.

Quotes to remember:

Showing up is what counts.

Friedman gets at something specific about what it is to lose someone. How it isn't one thing. He writes about how you lose and lose and lose.

It is the secret fear that we are unloveable that isolates us...but it is only because we are isolated that we think we are unloveable. Someday, you do not know when, you will be driving down a road. And someday, you do not know when, he, or indeed she, will be there. You will be loved because for the first time in your life, you will truly not be alone.

Someday, you may think of marrying. Pick someone who thinks you're the only person in the room.

The words you can't find, you borrow.

We read to know we're not alone. We read because we are alone. We read and we are not alone. We are not alone.

We are what we love...We aren't the things we collect, acquire, read. We are, for as long as we are here, only love. The things we loved. The people we loved. And these, I think these really do live on.

Promised in wishlist tag game

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 12, 2016
Arrived today from Bkind2books as part of the wishlist tag game. Thank you so much! Looks like a great read.

Journal Entry 4 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2018
This was a quick read and somewhat enjoyable, but I had been hoping for something a bit more literary. The pace was extremely fast, and as a result the book seemed to lack depth. A lot happened in only a few pages and the reader did not have a chance to linger and reflect on what was going on. I can see why people like this book and I didn't dislike it, but I also didn't love it.

Released 1 yr ago (5/4/2018 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This book is headed out to iwillrejoice as part of the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, May 10, 2018
Arrived safely. Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, March 18, 2019
I read this & a non-BookCrossing friend also read it. Very enjoyable story, set in a part of the world where I once lived. That always adds to the appeal for me. Thanks for sharing!

Reserved for a book ring.