The Woman in White

by Wilkie Collins | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 7/3/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, July 03, 2014

I have another hardcover copy of this. I found this one at a thrift store for release.

The Woman in White
Author: Wilkie Collins

A scheming nobleman, a beautiful heiress, and, of course, a mysterious woman in white confined to an asylum for the insane are just a few of the unforgettable characters in this marvelous tale of mistaken identities, locked rooms, and surprise revelations. Widely regarded as the finest work of Wilkie Collins.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at bookstogive's general lit VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 18, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (10/18/2014 UTC) at bookstogive's general lit VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sending to booklady331...a selection from the VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, October 24, 2014
This book arrived today in the mail. Thank you, perryfan, for sharing with me. I am looking forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, April 11, 2016
Began reading the book today.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, April 16, 2016
"The Woman in White" is one of the most engaging and gripping Victorian novels I have read. Collins creates vivid, memorable characters (ranging from brave intelligent Marian to the surprising and sinister Count Fosco) who are engaged in a plot that twists and turns. Collins moves between them with graceful and beautiful prose. Not only that, his narrative style, which moves from character to character, allows for fantastic comic interludes which break up the drama.

A mysterious woman-in-white encournters Walter Hartright, a young drawing master on his way to a new commission in the country. From then on, it seems that their fate and lives are tangled together, this woman-in-white, and Walter and his pupils Marian Halcombe and Laura Fairlie. Laura's impending marriage to Sir Percival Glyde draws a gloomy end. From then on, the pace quickens as the woman-in-white first sends a letter of warning to Laura.

Laura becomes the victim, Walter the absent hero, and it is all up to Marian, the lion-hearted defender of her sister, who stands as protector, investigator, and emotional supporter to Laura, that is until tragic circumstances force their separation.

Everything is explained at the end, except for the reason that Laura's late father wanted her to marry Percival Glyde in the first place.

I am so glad that I have read this book. Placing in my ABC VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Sellersville, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 02, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (2/5/2019 UTC) at Sellersville, Pennsylvania USA

Enjoy! KTM RABCK to LoreleiLee

Journal Entry 7 by LoreleiLee at Sellersville, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, February 12, 2019
Received from Booklady331. Thank you!