Ghosty Men: The Strange but True Story of the Collyer Brothers

by Franz Lidz | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 158234311x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/18/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, January 18, 2004
I really am trying not to buy new books, but when I saw watchcat's posting about this one I just had to get it. The story of the Collyer brothers and their almost Poe-esque fate appealed to me the first time I heard of it, and I was hoping for a book that would go into more detail about how things came to such a pass. It turns out, though, that this book is as much or more about the author's eccentric - and also inclined to hoard towers of junk - Uncle Arthur [previously featured in Lidz' "Unstrung Heroes"] than it is about the Collyers. The basic facts of the Collyer's history and tragic demise are interwoven with the author's family history - some of it tragic as well - as the narrative shifts between past and present. I'll admit I was a bit disappointed at this not being an in-depth analysis of the Collyer situation, but as I read on I realized that by comparing his uncle to the infamous hermits, it made their lives more accessible somehow... Made it easier to see them as human, and not just as headlines.

*** This one's on its way to BCer greedyreader in New Jersey. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 2 by greedyreader from Oakland, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, January 28, 2004
Just got this in the mail ... depite the 10 inches of snow, the postal person makes her delivery! Thank you, gorydetails, for this book. I especially like the newsprint-like, see-through dust jacket.

more later!

I thought this was an intersting book. The problem, in my opinion, was that I was more interested in the Collyer Brothers than the links/similarities to the author's wacky uncles.

Journal Entry 3 by greedyreader from Oakland, New Jersey USA on Monday, April 12, 2004
Mailed to keycollect who requested it despite the less-than-glowing prior reviews.

Journal Entry 4 by keycollect from Rapid City, South Dakota USA on Monday, April 19, 2004
just received from greedyreader in the mail this past weekend-i know the prior entries don't make it sound that great - but I always like to make up my own mind!

Journal Entry 5 by keycollect from Rapid City, South Dakota USA on Wednesday, April 21, 2004
I pretty much agree with earlier reviews. It just was not enough about the Collyer brothers. An interesting bit of history, but not enough. -- the dust jacket is really neat.

Released on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 at Robbinsdale Bowling Lanes, 805 E St Patrick St in Rapid City, South Dakota USA.

left it on one of the gumball vending machines in the front entryway about 4PM