The New Life

by Orhan Pamuk | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0571193781 Global Overview for this book
Registered by stephjb of Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on 6/25/2014
Journal Entry 1 by stephjb from Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Bought second-hand from a book stall on Bristol Waterfront.

Journal Entry 2 by stephjb at -- somewhere in Bristol , Bristol United Kingdom on Friday, October 03, 2014
I was lucky enough to win a copy of Snow a couple of years ago and absolutely loved Orhan Pamuk's writing. His poetic descriptions are beautiful and I managed to completely lose myself in the book. So when I saw a copy of The New Life on a second-hand stall in Bristol, I snapped it up.

The New Life is a mix of books in one. There is the stunning writing in which to lose yourself, a road journey through a Turkey which is being lost even as our narrator discovers it, and a splash of mysticism to aid and baffle the reader in equal measure! The seemingly unending bus journeys are brilliantly portrayed, both their tedium and the mortal risk of boarding. I did not completely understand everything as I read it, although much later became clear with further chapters and, as with Snow, I need to learn more about Turkish culture in order to appreciate all the cultural references.

However this was definitely a full five-star read for me. The characters of Osman, Janan and Mehmet are driven and compulsive, and I felt for their quest to discover the truth behind the book they had read. I would so love to read 'that book' too! My favourite character was Doctor Fine and I certainly sympathised with and understood his battle to slow the oncoming tide of globalisation, or Westernisation as it was to him, and his sadness at it destroying the small lifestyle details that made his Turkey his country. The New Life was originally published twenty years ago and I guess the onslaught has increased since then there as it also has in many other countries. If nothing else, I will take away from this book a renewed desire to Buy Local and support regional producers.

Journal Entry 3 by stephjb at Camping Larrouleta in Urrugne, Aquitaine France on Monday, October 06, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (10/7/2014 UTC) at Camping Larrouleta in Urrugne, Aquitaine France

Left in the computer room under Reception