Prodigal Summer

by Barbara Kingsolver | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0571206484 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Chania of Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on 6/23/2014
Journal Entry 1 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Monday, June 23, 2014
Prodigal Summer tells the story of a small town in Appalachia during a single, humid summer, when three interweaving stories of love, loss and family unfold against the backdrop of the lush wildness of Kentucky mountains. The narrative follows Deanna, a solitary woman working as a park ranger, Lusa, a widowed farmwife at odds with her late husband's tight-knit family, and Garnett, an old man who dreams of restoring the lineage of the extinct American Chestnut tree.
Kingsolver's extensive education in biology is on display in this book, laden with ecological concepts and biological facts. Her writing also exhibits her knowledge of rural Virginia, where she grew up. In the acknowledgments Kingsolver thanks her Virginia friends and neighbors, as well as Fred Herbard of the American Chestnut Foundation

Journal Entry 2 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Friday, July 15, 2016
A beautiful book - quite a slow read, but such a great atmosphere, such interesting characters. Loved it!

Journal Entry 3 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Monday, October 17, 2016
Congratulations to the winner of Books, Chocolate & Tea Sweepstake!

Journal Entry 4 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Monday, October 24, 2016
Thank you so much for the book (which sounds interesting), the chocolate (which tastes yummy!) and the tea (which will be nice to try later today. 5°C, clouded and humid = perfect weather for a hot drink!).

Journal Entry 5 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Sunday, February 17, 2019
I felt that the book was fairly well written, and the characters were interesting in a way (although they annoyed me a bit sometimes). But the book didn't "catch me", so I felt that I forced myself to continue reading. So halfway through the book I decided to give it up.

Journal Entry 6 by CathrineB at Hadeland Glassverk in Jevnaker, Oppland fylke Norway on Monday, July 08, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (7/8/2019 UTC) at Hadeland Glassverk in Jevnaker, Oppland fylke Norway

Released at Hadeland Glassverk, at a bench/table by the "Children's Farm", there the kids can meet some farm animals.

You've found a free and travelling book. It want to travel around and meet new readers.
This book is registered here at Bookcrossing.com so that its journey can be tracked. If you have found the book, I would appreciate if you could leave a "journal entry", even if you don't read the book. The journay entry can be made anonymously if you want to.

----

Du har funnet en gratis og reisende bok. Den ønsker å reise rundt og finne nye lesere.
Denne boka er registrert her på Bookcrossing.com slik at reisen dens kan følges. Hvis du har funnet boka vil jeg sette pris på om du kunne skrive et "journalinnlegg", selv om du ikke leser boka. Journalinnlegget kan skrives anonymt om du ønsker det.