Rush Home Road

I am Canadian, eh!
by Lori Lansens | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingfraculawing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 6/23/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingfraculawing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, June 23, 2015
Heartbreaking and wise, Rush Home Road tells the life story of Adelaide Shadd, who finds redemption in old age, and Sharla, a five-year-old mixed race girl abandoned to Addy’s care by her white mother. Born in the first decade of the 20th century in Rusholme (inspired by the real town of Buxton), in southwestern Ontario, an all-black community settled by fugitive slaves, Addy Shadd is raped as a teenager and forced to flee the family home. She makes her way on foot to Detroit, where she becomes the housekeeper for an elderly man and his grown son, both of whom develop a crush on her. When misfortune strikes again, she sets off to make a new life for herself in Canada. Thrown off the train at Keating, not far from her birthplace, she meets and eventually marries the train porter, the wonderful Mose, with whom she has a daughter. But when tragedy strikes, Addy is left alone.

Now an old woman, she lives a quiet existence in a trailer park near Chatham. Her whole world changes when a young mother asks her to babysit her daughter, as it soon becomes clear that the mother is never coming back. Addy is glad of the company, but not sure if she’s up to the job of mothering this sweet, awkward five-year-old. Nor is she sure how much longer she’ll be around to do so. How she manages is part of the story of this brilliantly captivating novel.

Written with verve, grace and unflinching emotional acuity, Rush Home Road is an epic story that explodes our notions of identity, justice, and heroism, penetrating one of our darkest periods with profound insight and humanity. Addy Shadd is a protagonist like no other -- full of quiet, steely bravery and tenderness of heart. This spellbinding novel will leave no reader untouched.

Journal Entry 2 by wingfraculawing at -- Wild Released somewhere in Calgary in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 27, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (6/27/2015 UTC) at -- Wild Released somewhere in Calgary in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released for the 2015 Canada Release Challenge
_____________________________________________
Hello and congratulations!

You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large.

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold. If you decide to join, consider listing Fracula as referring you.

If it's not your cup of tea, pass it on and consider this as your invitation to the wonderful world of BookCrossing!

Enjoy. Good Book Karma to You!

Journal Entry 3 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 10, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (10/10/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Previously released for the 2015 Canada Day release challenge, but after sitting in my LFL for three months, I thought I'd rescue it for a wider audience!

Releasing at the October meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 4 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 11, 2015
Brought this home from the October BookCrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 5 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 14, 2017
I've had this book for a while and couldn't seem to get through it. As there are others on the list will bring back to the group.

Journal Entry 6 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 14, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (1/14/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to the January BookCrossing meeting to be enjoyed by the next reader.

Journal Entry 7 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 22, 2017
Picked up at the January meeting!

Journal Entry 8 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 13, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (5/13/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the May meet up - theme "High Five" which I have interpreted as book with 500+ pages!

Such a lovely book, I stayed up last night to finish it!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 9 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 10, 2017
Picked up at the May meeting.

Journal Entry 10 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (3/9/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

With another baby on the way, I have to purge my shelf a bit. I am returning this one to the group where it can find a new reader.

Journal Entry 11 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2019
This looks like set...or partially in Chatham Ontario. We were at a wedding there last fall, so this book intrigued me.

Journal Entry 12 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, August 19, 2019
I quite enjoyed this story of two young girls and how their lives intertwine.

Journal Entry 13 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 14, 2019

Released 6 days ago (9/14/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book to our monthly bookcrossers meet up at Cravings - the second Saturday of every month- to pass on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 14 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 15, 2019
to be read