The Book of Salt: A Novel

by Monique Truong | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingsakirmowing of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 6/19/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingsakirmowing from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, June 19, 2014
"A wholly original take on Paris in the 1930s through the eyes of Binh, a Vietnamese cook. Viewing his famous mesdames and their entourage from the kitchen of their rue de Fleurus home, Binh observes their domestic entanglements while seeking his own place in the world."

** reserved for Chania via wishlist tag game

Journal Entry 2 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, November 23, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (11/23/2014 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Interesting story and beautifully written, but a bit too detailed and somewhat long-winded for my taste...

The book is ready to travel to Chania now. Happy reading! :)

Journal Entry 3 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, November 27, 2014
Thank you, looks lovely!

Journal Entry 4 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Friday, August 05, 2016
I did like this book, partly because it was quite slow, but I did think at times that it might be a bit too slow. Lifelong loneliness, no real hope for the things to get better, betrayal.. sad things are the things that stayed in my mind after finishing this.

Awards and honors:
2003 Lambda Literary Award, nominee
2004 PEN/Robert W. Bingham Prize, co-winner
2004 ALA Stonewall Book Award, winner
2004 Young Lions Fiction Award, winner

Journal Entry 5 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, September 29, 2016
Reserved!

Journal Entry 6 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Saturday, October 29, 2016
Sending to Toukokuu next!

Journal Entry 7 by toukokuu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, November 02, 2016
Thank you for sending me this book and there is a charming bookmark inside the book. It arrived today. The first snow has fallen today here in Helsinki.

Journal Entry 8 by toukokuu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, March 12, 2017
I read the book slowly and yesterday I finally finished it. I have to agree with Sakirmo and Chania and what they have written here.

Journal Entry 9 by toukokuu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 20, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (3/20/2017 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Moving on...

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Thank you for the book, kind bookcrossers!