corner corner The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox
by Maggie O'Farrell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingyorkshire-lasswing of Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on 6/17/2014

status (set by Nakipa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingyorkshire-lasswing from Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Thank you for picking up this book and logging on to the website, I hope you enjoy reading it, when you have finished it please make a journal entry so that I know what you have decided to do with the book next. If you decide to join BookCrossing (it’s free and completely private your e-mail address is never given out) please say yorkshire-lass sent you. Happy BookCrossing!

Amazon Editorial Review

Esme was a woman edited out of her family's history, and when, sixty years later, she is released from care, a young woman, Iris, discovers the great aunt she never knew she had. The mystery that unfolds is the heartbreaking tale of two sisters in colonial India and 1930s Edinburgh - of the loneliness that binds them together and the rivalries that drive them apart, and lead one of them to a shocking betrayal - but above all it is the story of Esme, a fiercely intelligent, unconventional young woman, and of the terrible price she is made to pay for her family's unhappiness ...

A good griping read, had me hooked from the first page.

Journal Entry 2 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (6/17/2014 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

Being sent as part of the 2014 Birthday Group, hope you have a wonderful birthday :-)

Hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sorry i forgot to journal this when it arrived in July oooops I think because I got sent two of this book. Sorry from you and another bookcrosser I will be sending it out as part of the HGG14

Journal Entry 4 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Sunday, October 19, 2014

OMG what a thought provoking book, this was. Makes you think a lot about what happened to some people who were different or a handful to look after. Or just free willed

I felt really emotional for esme after what happened to her that made her loose most of her life to one of those awful mental institutes. My heart goes out to her after all she has been through. I came to hate Esme's betraying older sister kitty and the consequences of the what kitty did. It teaches you to think before you act.

I honestly couldn't put this down its the quickest book I have read, it kept me reading long after bedtime. I really felt they could of touched more on Esme's time whilst being in incarceration at the "mental asylum" (I hate to use that word) I also wish it were that bit longer

Journal Entry 5 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Friday, October 24, 2014

Sending out as part of the pay it forward RABCK

Journal Entry 6 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, November 01, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (10/22/2014 UTC) at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!
Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

Journal Entry 7 by Nakipa at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, November 03, 2014

The book arrived today along with some lovely tea. I am not at home so I just had the chance to see it in a photograph my boyfriend sent to me. As soon as I come back I'll have plenty of books do pay-it-forward with. Thank you :D