The Soldier's Wife

by Joanna Trollope | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by stephjb of Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on 6/16/2014
Journal Entry 1 by stephjb from Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, June 16, 2014
Swapped for on the book exchange shelf in the refectory at Wealden District Council.

Journal Entry 2 by stephjb at Hailsham, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 03, 2014
I found The Soldier's Wife to be a disappointing novel by Joanna Trollope. I haven't read many of her books, but had reasonable expectations that unfortunately haven't been met.

Alexa is the frustrated soldier's wife of the title. Trapped in Army accommodation with young children and no job, the return of her husband, Dan, from Afghanistan triggers a crisis in her marriage. Alexa is unable to talk to Dan about wanting more from her life and he in turn is unable to ask about her obvious disappointment. We meet a number of relations and friends, all of whom also find communication practically impossible and this goes on for most of the book. For me, this made the characters unknowable so I didn't develop any attachment to them, merely irritation at their impasse.

I did finish the book, but found the rather abrupt and wimp-out ending unsatisfactory too. Trollope isn't an author I'll be rushing to read more from any time soon.

Journal Entry 3 by stephjb at Wealden District Council Refectory in Hailsham, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (9/4/2014 UTC) at Wealden District Council Refectory in Hailsham, East Sussex United Kingdom

On the bookshelves in the refectory