Home Front: A Novel

by Kristin Hannah | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingyorkshire-lasswing of Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on 6/16/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingyorkshire-lasswing from Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, June 16, 2014
Thank you for picking up this book and logging on to the website, I hope you enjoy reading it, when you have finished it please make a journal entry so that I know what you have decided to do with the book next. If you decide to join BookCrossing (it’s free and completely private your e-mail address is never given out) please say yorkshire-lass sent you. Happy BookCrossing!
Amazon Editorial Review

In her bestselling novels Kristin Hannah has plumbed the depths of friendship, the loyalty of sisters, and the secrets mothers keep. Now, in her most emotionally powerful story yet, she explores the intimate landscape of a troubled marriage with this provocative and timely portrait of a husband and wife, in love and at war.

All marriages have a breaking point. All families have wounds. All wars have a cost. . . .

Like many couples, Michael and Jolene Zarkades have to face the pressures of everyday life---children, careers, bills, chores---even as their twelve-year marriage is falling apart. Then an unexpected deployment sends Jolene deep into harm’s way and leaves defense attorney Michael at home, unaccustomed to being a single parent to their two girls. As a mother, it agonizes Jolene to leave her family, but as a solider she has always understood the true meaning of duty. In her letters home, she paints a rose-colored version of her life on the front lines, shielding her family from the truth. But war will change Jolene in ways that none of them could have foreseen. When tragedy strikes, Michael must face his darkest fear and fight a battle of his own---for everything that matters to his family.

At once a profoundly honest look at modern marriage and a dramatic exploration of the toll war takes on an ordinary American family, Home Front is a story of love, loss, heroism, honor, and ultimately, hope.

Journal Entry 2 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, June 16, 2014

Released 8 yrs ago (6/16/2014 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

This is being sent as part of the 2014 Birthday Group, hope you have a wonderful birthday :-)

Being sent direct from BetterWorldBooks.

Journal Entry 3 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 5, 2014
Arrived safely! Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 13, 2020
I thought this was a good read. Held my attention.

I've always thought about what we ask our soldiers and protectors to do for us. Whether we agree or not. We must accept they are changed.

I did get a little frustrated with the ignoring of the pre-teen's rudeness. I realize it was frustration and fear on her part, but someone should have addressed it sooner. Perhaps I grew up in a different era. ;)

Journal Entry 5 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 13, 2021

Released 1 yr ago (11/13/2021 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending to the winner of the Book & Bookmark Sweeps! Congratulations!

Apr 23/22 - Sadly I fear this book is lost. It shouldn't take this long to cross the pond. :( Hopefully it turns up some day.

Journal Entry 6 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 24, 2022
Fear not! This books is not lost, but arrived on the same day as the replacement you kindly sent. I guess it took the scenic route! Thank you very much for this and the lovely bookmark.

Journal Entry 7 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, June 11, 2022
I thought this was a really good depiction of the impact of active service on soldiers and their families. Like lauraloo29 I was a bit taken aback that the pre-teen's behaviour wasn't addressed. There seemed to be a lot of unnecessary screaming and shouting, and it just seemed to be brushed off as being typical of young people that age so everyone else just had to put up with it!

Journal Entry 8 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, November 28, 2022
Picked up at the Old Gang meet up yesterday