The Poisonwood Bible: A Novel

by Barbara Kingsolver | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lshsmom of Wilsonville, Oregon USA on 1/17/2004
Journal Entry 1 by lshsmom from Wilsonville, Oregon USA on Saturday, January 17, 2004
Came across this copy as an accidental website purchase.....my mistake is Bookcrossing's gain:) I will search the wishlists for interested readers and hopefully send this off to be enjoyed by another reader.

Journal Entry 2 by lshsmom from Wilsonville, Oregon USA on Saturday, February 14, 2004
Mailing this to owlet today.....found it on her wishlist and offered to send it to her.....so off it goes to The Netherlands!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by owlet from Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands on Thursday, March 25, 2004
Thank you lshsmom, the book arrived today! It was very nice of you to offer me this book on my wish list, and if you do find an interesting book on my shelf, now or in the future, don't hesitate to ask for it...
Ever since Oprah talked about this book (waaaay back when), I've wanted to read it. Heard a lot of good and bad things about it, and I just want to read it to see what I would think of it. Thanks again and I will let you know my opinion on the book once I've finised it.

Journal Entry 4 by owlet from Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands on Saturday, October 22, 2005
What a great book, very special, with a quite unusual way of telling the story through the eyes of each family member (except for the father). The writer is able to give each member her own way of telling things, in their own “voice”. The story is evidently not only about the Price family, but also about the struggle that most African countries went through after becoming independent and about missionary work and imperialism. I found Adah the most interesting character (I really liked to read her ironic, alsmost cynic way of writing) and Rachel the most irritating and shallow minded. Leah is the one who changes and grows up the most, in my opinion, from a girl devoted to her father and God to a woman who becomes very critical towards the same two.

The rest is in white because there are some spoilers, highlight to read it:
I wasn’t surprised that Leah decided to stay in Congo, I suspected soon that she would and that she was falling in love. I was however very surprised that Rachel didn’t immediately returned to the USA. She was so disgusted by the people and the land, I didn’t think she could stand to be in Africa for another minute.

All in all, I loved the book, thank you very much for sending it all the way here, lshsmom, it took me a while to take it off my to-be-read list, but I'm very very glad I did that!! I gave it to my sister (no BookCrosser) to read it, don’t know what she will do with it, but she knows she can leave it anywhere or give it to someone else. Thanks!!