Secret Thorns

by Kikuko Kikuya | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/24/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, June 24, 2014
So Better World Books was having (another) sale, and I somehow kept finding interesting titles... Anyway, this fair-condition softcover features a writer who discovers that his ex-lover is now his editor. What to do?

So the romance rekindles (surprise!), and it's handled in an entertaining way, with both characters admitting to doubts and flaws. Oh, sure, the "can I stay with you" bit is pretty contrived, but it makes sense for the character.

There's another story featuring step-brotherly-love that's rather sweet, and a nicely unusual one in which two scientists working in a fragrance lab find each other's scent more appealing than anything they're working on. And there's a bonus story revisiting the main characters of the primary tale. Nice little collection.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (6/27/2014 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to my Yaoi Manga shrinking bookbox, which will set out on its first leg tomorrow. (See the bookbox journal here for mailing order and contents.) Hope someone enjoys the book!

Journal Entry 3 by Keitorin at Cookeville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2014
This one rubbed me the wrong way. :/

Spoilers ahead.

Secret Thorns: All Uruno has is Hisahara’s word that it won’t be like before. Uruno even said that if they got back together the same thing would happen. I didn’t see any reason to believe that it would be different this time unless some compromises were made – such as Hisahara coming home earlier at night, and Uruno working on his self-esteem issues, because it’s part of the problem.

Sleepless Days: I don’t mind underage relationships in fiction as long as they’re not especially problematic. Problematic to me usually means a jealous, possessive and immature lover. In BL manga there’s this trend that you should foster that jealousy even through all the angst because it’s what shows you love your partner, that you are loved.

In reality, you’re supposed to work through the jealousy issues when they come up, work on your self-esteem, and communicate with your partner about any issues you may have without any expectation for them to fix everything. Compromises can be made; they can choose to make things easier for you (like spending Sundays only with you, no work friends). But they have no obligation to stop going out with friends or changing who they are to make someone feel better about themselves or the relationship.

BL manga is apparently supposed to sell dreams but to me, it often just sells destruction wrapped in a pretty bow.

Sweet Smell of the Honey Trap: I really liked the premise, but it seemed like the seme’s attitude was a front for a bully. I can’t abide using force on one’s partner to maneuver them where one wants when angry, especially by being rude to other people because one is jealous. It’s not hot.

*gets off soapbox* I just have lots of bad feels about unhealthy relationships, okay.

Passing on.

Journal Entry 4 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, August 14, 2014
took from gorydetails' yaoi bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2014
i thought this book was generally below average in terms of art and story. the main story is pretty generic, but one of the premises was novel (two guys working on perfumes attracted to each other's scents) and one is good for people who like brother/step brother fetishes. otherwise nothing much memorable here.

Journal Entry 6 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, September 28, 2017
added to nimoridel's manga/graphic novel bookbox (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/14452373)

Journal Entry 7 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
This came back in my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 8 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 04, 2018
I found this collection kind of Meh... I really liked the last story about the two scientists, except that it was so short. I would have loved to see this in a longer telling to develop the characters more. THis was one with pretty artwork, but the book as a whole just left me wanting more from it.

Journal Entry 9 by wingnimrodielwing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (4/22/2019 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 15, 2019
I'm reclaiming this one from the Manga and Graphic Novel bookbox (bookbox journal here) to release elsewhere.

Released 4 mos ago (5/15/2019 UTC) at Post Office bookswap shelf (UBCZ), 353 Middlesex Rd. in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA

I left this book on the book-swap shelf in the Tyngsboro MA post office lobby; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 April Showers/May Flowers release challenge. ***