Children of the Jacaranda Tree

by Sahar Delijani | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by dotdot of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 6/6/2014
Journal Entry 1 by dotdot from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, June 06, 2014
Bought for bookcrossing purposes.

Journal Entry 2 by dotdot at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, June 06, 2014
On its way to a new home.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, June 26, 2014
Got this in the local meet-up yesterday. Actually, got a bagful of lovely things, two wishlist books among them. And this one is a brand new book! Oh, dotdot, you shouldn't have, you really shouldn't. I'm overwhelmed, totally overwhelmed. Thank you!

Sept. 11, 2016. Edited to add that I'm trying to trace award winning/nominated books in my shelf. Children of the Jacaranda Tree is one of them. It was
running for Edinburgh International Book Festival 2013 First Book Award
finalist for Elle's Gran Premio 2014 (Gran Premio delle Lettrici di Elle)
in Women's National Book Association's Great Group Read 2014 selection
CBS Local Best Book Club Picks for Fall 2014
candidate for Prix des Lecteurs Sélection 2015 by Le Livre de Poche
nominated for the Pushcart Prize

Journal Entry 4 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, August 26, 2018
The story is beautifully told, but it wasn't enough for me. I was confused with all the characters and didn't always know who's who. Although I didn't know much about the author when reading the book, it seemed obvious that it must be partly autobiographical. And so it is.
I think this book allows many kinds of interpretations. In my reading, it's mainly about knowing your roots, about everyone's right to know their own family history. But I know it's only a tiny part of the book. All in all it was a decent read.

Sahar Delijani at Wikipedia
Sahar Delijani, The Official Website
Sahar Delijani: 'I had to tell my family's story of the Iranian executions' at The Guardian
Sahar Delijani Interview at YouTube
Children of the Jacaranda Tree at Wikipedia
Children of the Jacaranda Tree by Sahar Delijani – review at The Guardian

Journal Entry 5 by wingTarnawing at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, August 27, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (8/27/2018 UTC) at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Children of the Jacaranda Tree will meet the winner of Authors from unusual countries sweepstakes. I so hope they'll enjoy the book.
Now, about the author. She was born in Tehran and Wikipedia calls her Iranian. At the age of 12, she and her family moved to USA. She now lives in Turin, Italy. If you'd like to think her as an Italian author, that's ok by me. I'm ashamed but I have to admit that even if I come from Europe, also Italy is one of those 'unusual countries' for me.
Travel safe, little book! Congrats and happy reading to the winner!

Journal Entry 6 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Saturday, September 08, 2018
This book looks as though it might be rather sad reading, but good, so fingers crossed. Thank you also for the bookmark, which is very clever and unusual (credit to efell) and the postcard. I've not heard of Wagner and Viivi, but the postcard is very cute!