corner corner August Folly: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)

Summer in Yorkshire

August Folly: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)
by Angela Thirkell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by han_cat of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 5/18/2015

status (set by -Hazel-): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by han_cat from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 18, 2015

Reserved for the Summer themed bookcrossing Meetup.

This is a loosely a series, but mostly with the place and sometimes characters overlap. Anyway the all read as stand alone, I'd say this was middling in terms of quality. Light, cute read.

Journal Entry 2 by han_cat at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 21, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (6/23/2015 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To be released at the Summer themed June bookcrossing meetup. If not chosen it will be available on the shelf in Brigantes, hope you enjoy this book!

Journal Entry 3 by Chuggypig at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (8/25/2015 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

This was the first book by Angela Thirkell I'd read. It's charming. Whether you'll like it or not depends on whether you like charming.

I do, so I rather enjoyed this. Everyone ends up happily, we're privy to the conversations between the donkey and the cat, and the village play is performed successfully. Thirkell reminded me a bit of Dodie Smith, but not quite as light or witty.

To be released at the monthly York Bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 4 by tree-hugger at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 26, 2015

I picked this up at the York meetup last night for Nu-Knees.

Journal Entry 5 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Good to see you tonight, lass - and thanks for the book, even if it has been hanging around for two and a half years awaiting delivery . . . Only joking, I'm pleased have it - and good luck with the preparations for moving, all the culling and sorting that have brought this off the shelves and back into the light of day . . . See you again soon! I love charming and I love the cover art and VMC books are a recommendation in themselves, so this definitely looks like my sort of novel! Thank you :-)

Journal Entry 6 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 23, 2018

A pleasant summer story, perhaps not quite as charming and delightful as I was expecting, but pleasantly entertaining all the same :-)

Journal Entry 7 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Phonebox Library in Roecliffe, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 24, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (2/24/2018 UTC) at Phonebox Library in Roecliffe, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Left with the many other books on offer in this well-stocked red telephone box book exchange. Enjoy!

Well over a million people around the world give their books a unique BookCrossing IDentity number (BCID) before sending them out to find new readers. Since the start of the scheme in April 2001 over twelve million such books have been put into circulation. This is one of them!

Our hope is that we can track the progress of our books once they've left our hands - and that's possible if finders like you visit the website, key in the BCID and leave a comment, however long or short. It's fun, it doesn't have to cost anything, although the site always appreciates donations towards running costs, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. You don't have to join but if you do you'll be able to number and track your own books!

Journal Entry 8 by -Hazel- at Roecliffe, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 14, 2018

I keep starting this journal entry and losing it! Apologies if it appears about 4 times with different wording. I picked this up from the Roecliffe phone box library today, 14 March. I was dropping off a hefty biography of Florence Nightingale, so needed to find room for it rather than needing a book to read. I was of course attracted by the bookcrossing sticker. Thanks for the idea of putting the 'Now that you've read this book . . . ' sticker on the last page, han_cat, I think I'll adopt the practice.