The Ascent of Rum Doodle (Vintage Classics)

Summer in Yorkshire
by w. e. bowman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by han_cat of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 6/18/2014
Journal Entry 1 by han_cat from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Aiming to read this in time to release for comedy month (York Bookcrossers)

Journal Entry 2 by han_cat at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 23, 2014
This is a silly book! Classic British humour all the way. An enjoyable read.

Released 9 yrs ago (6/24/2014 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To be released at the June Bookcrossing meetup (loosely themed comedy). If not picked up at the meet will be left on the shelves in Brigantes.

Hope you enjoy the book :D

Journal Entry 4 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 24, 2014
Han cat can be relied upon to bring a good book - nabbed from the bookcrossers meet up.

Journal Entry 5 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 5, 2014
Suitably silly book sending up the good old sort stereotypical English gentleman adventurer. This little band are off to climb Rum Doodle in Yogistani, convinced of their superiority in all things - thank goodness the porters were there to keep an eye on them! It's a funny read although I got a little weary of it towards the end, despite it not being that long. Not sure why, maybe I'm not enough of a mountaineer to enjoy, or maybe the repetition of the leader having to ask everyone about his fiance turned into a bit of filler for me. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, and particularly loved their navigator dude, Jungle, who is so good at finding his way he never managed to get to the planning meeting in London as he kept getting lost. I loved the selection of photographs and illustrations that had been collected for various quotes out of the book - funny stuff.

Released 9 yrs ago (10/28/2014 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Taking back to York bookcrossers now that I've read it.

Journal Entry 7 by Chuggypig at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 31, 2014
Picked up at the York monthly Bookcrossing meetup.

Released 8 yrs ago (5/25/2015 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

This was adorable!!! If you like 'Three Men in a Boat' or 'Diary of a Nobody' you'll love this. The end of chapter 12 made me roar with laughter - something even the funniest book rarely manages with me. And the characters are funny and real, and it wasn't as appallingly colonialist as I feared - I loved the porter named 'Un Sung'. A real classic.

To be released at the York monthly Bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 9 by davidbreslin101 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 11, 2015
Picked up from Brigantes Bar, Micklegate, York.

Journal Entry 10 by davidbreslin101 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 25, 2015
This is a bit of a slow starter, but worth it. In the first couple of chapters, the humour feels a bit simplistic (a navigator who's always lost, a doctor who's always sick), mitigated only by the fact that Bowman has the painfully earnest style of the explorer's memoir down to a T.
It builds, though. It goes! The relentless running jokes actually get funnier with repetition, and combine into some spectacularly daft set pieces. Add to this a surprisingly modern world-view for a comic novel from the '50s, and the result is the funniest book I've read in a long time.

Released 8 yrs ago (8/25/2015 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

This was quite a find. Hope someone else enjoys it next!

Journal Entry 12 by LouiseB79 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 17, 2019
Picked up at the York Bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 13 by LouiseB79 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 2, 2020
I was warned that this book contained quite high levels of whimsy; this was not an inaccurate assessment. For me, the fatal flaw was that the whimsy was mixed in with a hefty dose of surrealism, which stopped the characters from being relatable or especially likeable. Comparisons with Three Men in a Boat seem to be thrown around liberally, which is probably a mistake. The silly situations in that book (getting lost in Hampton Court maze, going camping and forgetting to take a tin opener, sharing a house with a couple and continually walking in on them suddenly springing apart) are things you can imagine happening to you. Rum Doodle fails on this count, because whoever has experienced losing a fiancee down the back of a sideboard for two weeks? It just irritated me for the most part. Sorry.

Released 4 yrs ago (1/28/2020 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To be released at the York Bookcrossing meetup.