Ah-Choo!: The Uncommon Life of Your Common Cold

by Jennifer Ackerman | Health, Mind & Body |
ISBN: 044654115X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/28/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, June 28, 2015
I'm putting this book in the Medicine Chest bookbox. Hope someone enjoys it!

I got this good-condition hardcover from Better World Books. It's a lively and informative look at the all-too-common cold - which, as it turns out, has some fascinating attributes that make it worthy of respect, if not necessarily affection! While the author isn't quite as droll as Mary Roach, she's still pretty funny, and does approach her subject with the same enthusiasms, even volunteering as a test subject in a cold-virus experiment - at the height of the swine-flu epidemic, yet. The details are intriguing, though also more than a little squicky - after all, one of the key metrics in determing the severity of a cold is the quantity of mucous produced. So, perhaps, don't read this while eating? {wry grin}

There are examinations of personal habits that may have an affect on one's susceptibility to viruses ("It's worth lingering for a moment on the topic of nostril excavation, as it's a touchy subject..."); the studies that proved that most of the uncomfortable symptoms of viruses are caused by our immune systems fighting them off, rather than the viruses themselves; looks at other factors that might contribute to susceptibility, such as stress (this section cites that delightful song from Guys and Dolls: "a person can develop a cold"); and much more. I especially enjoyed the bit about the different words for "sneeze" ("the trumpet of Nature"), from Hebraic apchi to Japanese hakushon, nearly all of the terms sounding rather like a sneeze - more so than the official English/medical term, "sternutation".

There's the dark side, where colds can turn deadly; the many and varied ways to try and prevent colds or ease their symptoms; and an intriguing chapter titled "In Defense of Colds," which suggests a different way of looking at our complex immune systems and the way they play with viruses. And, yes, there's a chapter on "cold comforts", with many and varied substances and methods used to ease symtoms, along with info on the degree to which they work (if at all). I made a few notes on this bit!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, June 28, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (7/8/2015 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this book in the Medicine Chest bookbox. Hope someone enjoys it!

Journal Entry 3 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, October 15, 2015
Another interesting choice I'll have to pick away at. (yes, bad punnish humor)