The Uncommon Reader

by Alan Bennett | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by SophieSilver of Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 5/29/2014
Journal Entry 1 by SophieSilver from Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, May 29, 2014
Die souveräne Leserin ?

Journal Entry 2 by SophieSilver at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, May 30, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (5/30/2014 UTC) at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Dieses Buch freut sich auf ein neues Regal und einen Eintrag im 'Gästebuch'. Gutes Crossing!

Unterwegs in einer 'englischen Buchkiste' zu linguistkris

Hermes, Max-Hufschmidt-Straße

Knochen (-flügel) sponsored by Physalis74

Journal Entry 3 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, May 31, 2014
Oooh, how exciting! I've heard about this (I believe there was a bookring some years ago?), and it sounded intriguing! Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, October 04, 2014
Reserved as a wishlist tag for crimson-tide.

Journal Entry 5 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, December 01, 2014
Note to self: Need to find this book. :/

Journal Entry 6 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, February 24, 2015
After it had finally emerged from just about the last of the moving boxes, this was a sweet and quick read.
This certainly is the hommage to reading it was described as, but I felt it is a hommage to British royalty just as much (or possible even more so). I wonder what Her Highness the protagonist thought of her portrayal? Surely she must have been amused! I'm not all that familiar with the goings-on at Buckingham and certainly can't judge it accurately, but the the Duke of Edinburgh's two-word utterances were among the best character sketches I've seen. Also enjoyed the palace intrigue.

I must admit though I'm not as smitten with this book as some; the idea is cute and I did quite enjoy Bennett's writing for the most part, but even though this is such a slender volume, I felt some parts dragged a bit. Also, I'm not sure that writing necessarily "follows from" or "surpasses" reading in any way. Although it is sadly true that reading may not be doing (especially evident when I chose a book over a chore -- again!), the introspection and insights that reading allows can be put to very good use in other ways.

All in all, the perfect BookCrossing book: quickly read, travels well, shares the joy of reading! :)

Journal Entry 7 by winglinguistkriswing at Wishlist Tag, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/24/2015 UTC) at Wishlist Tag, by mail -- Controlled Releases

In the mail to Balingup, WA.

Journal Entry 8 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, March 10, 2015
Woohoo! Arrived safely today as a wishlist tag - thank you linguistkris.
I've heard much about this one too, and look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 9 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, December 12, 2015
An enjoyable read, although I'm with you linguistkris, in that it didn't quite live up to my high expectations. Bennett often chooses lonely, slightly odd, or isolated individuals as his protagonists, and it was brilliant (though somewhat risky) to show the Queen in this light. Following the transformation of the monarch to becoming a reader, with the attending consequences was portrayed reasonably well, even if the consequences were a little overdone. But then that is the whole point, isn't it? The book is many things rolled into one . . . amusing, quirky, insightful, satirical, and poignant.

Journal Entry 10 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, February 01, 2016
Will be going on a trip over to BigJohnLefty after having been offered up on January's "One book a month offered 2016" thread.

Journal Entry 11 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (2/2/2016 UTC) at Balingup, Western Australia Australia

Released in the mail today to BigJohnLefty, who is January's winner of my one book a month rabck. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 12 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Got in mail yesterday from crimson-tide as a RABCK!

Thank you very much!