Probably Monsters

by Ray Cluley | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by BaiLong of Shanghai, Shanghai China on 6/29/2015
Journal Entry 1 by BaiLong from Shanghai, Shanghai China on Monday, June 29, 2015
Description

From British Fantasy Award-winning author Ray Cluley comes Probably Monsters - a collection of dark, weird, literary horror stories. Sometimes the monsters are bloodsucking fiends with fleshy wings. Sometimes they're shambling dead things that won't rest, or simply creatures red in tooth and claw. But often they're worse than any of these. They're the things that make us howl in the darkness, hoping no one hears. These are the monsters we make ourselves, and they can find us anywhere. . . .

Journal Entry 2 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Monday, June 29, 2015
I first received a free e-copy of this book through netgalley.com, but liked it so much that I decided to buy one copy in order to share it with you all.

This is one of the best short stories anthologies I’ve read in a while. Actually, it’s one of the best I’ve read period.

The author, Ray Cluley, masters his words like some of my favorite supernatural/horror writers. For instance, I felt there was a bit Poe, Lovecraft or Gaiman in there. His stories are strong, emotionally packed. They can be creepy or fascinating or disturbing or all at the same time.

I loved the way how everything seems so normal, and yet this normality slowly slips into the supernatural. The narration is very smooth and brings us in odd and bizarre places even before we realize it.

Some stories crept into my dreams at night, and most stayed with me for a while (or actually, are still in a corner of my mind).

I’ll clearly keep an eye on future productions of this author, and recommend him warmly to all horror/supernatural lovers.

And remember, monsters are not always those who look the part.

Released 4 yrs ago (7/10/2015 UTC) at Supernatural Sweepstakes, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases

Releasing the book into the mail, for it to makes its way to the winner of the International Amazing Supernatural Sweepstake.

Journal Entry 4 by Mecu at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Friday, July 24, 2015
Thank you so much for this interesting looking new book! And a special thanks for the beautiful bookmark! It looks too pretty to be used. :D

Journal Entry 5 by Mecu at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Thursday, June 07, 2018
Quite entertaining, good horrow novels where you didn't necessarily know right away who is the monster. I liked especially "Shark! Shark"" and "Night Fishing" but the best was absolutely "Beachcombing".

Journal Entry 6 by Mecu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, December 09, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (12/10/2018 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

The book is looking for a new reader at the Bookcrossing pre-Xmas party.

Congrats! You've found a free book which was looking for new readers. Nice that you found your way to Bookcrossing website, too. You can join this free network of books and book friends, or stay anonymous. Please tell where you found the book and what did you think of it. When you've read it, you can release it for others to find. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by Hiirenkorva at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, December 10, 2018
Kirjaa suositeltiin minulle mukaan otettavaksi pikkujoulumiitissä. Novellit kiinnostavat aina .

Journal Entry 8 by Hiirenkorva at Erlangen, Bayern Germany on Friday, May 03, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (5/3/2019 UTC) at Erlangen, Bayern Germany

Vapautettu Erlagenin keskustassa sijaitsevaan vaihtokirjahyllyyn. The book is released to the bookswapshelf in Erlangen city center.