The Long Song

by Andrea Levy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by stephjb of Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on 5/23/2014
Journal Entry 1 by stephjb from Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Friday, May 23, 2014
Swapped for on the book exchange shelves at Chapter 12, Hailsham.

Journal Entry 2 by stephjb at Hailsham, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Long Song is set in 1800s colonial Jamaica and manages a wonderful duality in that it tells of a life lived through the last years of slavery and on into freedom, but without becoming another book about slavery. Our protagonist, July, is born to a field slave mother on a sugar cane plantation and is abruptly taken to the house at eight years old when she catches the missus' eye. Through her reminiscences, we are introduced to a outlandish social structure with many more subtle layers than just that of masters and slaves.
I love how Andrea Levy draws us into her characters' lives by way of gossip and chatter. The minutiae gives a fascinating illustration of their world and the device of the elderly July talking makes her story all the more real. Major historical events do happen, but just out of sight so this is always a novel of people not facts. I was completely hooked and read the whole book in just over a day!

Journal Entry 3 by stephjb at Chapter 12 in Hailsham, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (8/27/2014 UTC) at Chapter 12 in Hailsham, East Sussex United Kingdom

On the bookshelves by the sofas