The Clothes On Their Backs: A Novel

by Linda Grant | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 143914236x Global Overview for this book
Registered by haahaahaa98 of Watertown, Massachusetts USA on 5/19/2014
Journal Entry 1 by haahaahaa98 from Watertown, Massachusetts USA on Monday, May 19, 2014
I'd be interested in seeing what folks had to say about this novel. I enjoyed reading it, but had some reservations.

The Clothes On Their BacksThe Clothes On Their Backs by Linda Grant

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is an example of a book that I want to like more, and is well written, but had a hard time really getting into the language. I coin a new term to describe this type of book: "literary chick lit" - highly stylized writing, characters very aware of social class issues, written from retrospective point of view, main character aware of appearances (especially clothes, as you might imagine from the title of the book).

The story delves into the life of a young woman whose desire to learn about the difficult past between her uncle and her father leads her to transcribe her uncle's memoirs without her uncle knowing that she is his niece. The eventual crescendo of the novel and culminating final scenes feel somewhat contrived; nonetheless, a beautiful book which I wish I liked more.

Released 4 yrs ago (6/10/2014 UTC) at Algiers, 40 Brattle Street, Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

To be released at next local bookcrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 3 by fzhasan at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 12, 2014
Just picked this up.

Journal Entry 4 by fzhasan at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 30, 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the character of Sandor Kovac who comes off as a sympathetic gangster. Glamorous, yet dangerous and very raw. I wish the ending was a little better but I know as a rule endings are hard to do.

Journal Entry 5 by amyem at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, December 14, 2016
Caught at Dec 2016 Meetup. Looks interesting.

Journal Entry 6 by amyem at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, October 29, 2018
It started out strongly but really lost steam part way through. The plot really got bogged down and I found it hard to know what story she really wanted to tell. I think there was an interesting story but both the flashback style and the vrye long section that had very little to do with the opening was hard to connect with. I think it was well-written but not very well organized. Also, the clothes metaphor was weak, esp. in the last few paragraphs when it felt very tacked on.

Journal Entry 7 by amyem at CfA Book Sharing Shelf in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, October 29, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (10/29/2018 UTC) at CfA Book Sharing Shelf in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Bound for a short stay at the work book sharing shelf

Journal Entry 8 by amyem at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 23, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (3/23/2019 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Planned for release at March 2019 Boston Bookcrossers Meetup.

Journal Entry 9 by wingIddyluwing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 23, 2019
A criminal memoir (albeit a fictional one) - I'm sold!