Bee Season: A Novel

by Myla Goldberg | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 5/14/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, May 14, 2014
I selected this book from The Book Thing of Baltimore, Inc., an organization whose mission it is to put books into the hands of those who want them.

I read another copy of this book in 2001. This is what I wrote after I read this thoroughly enjoyable and original work...

Eight-year-old Eliza Nauman is thrust into the limelight from a relatively obscure background as a result of winning her school’s spelling bee. Her dad now turns his greatest attention from his son to his daughter in preparation for more advanced spelling competitions. Her mom remains relatively uninvolved being caught up in her own world of kleptomania and never seems to notice much of Eliza’s accomplishment. Eliza’s brother is somewhat amused by it all but becomes more concerned when he no longer is the center of attention and seeks attention by exploring religions other than his own.

What wonderful characters! All of them have that rich quirky feel usually associated with people from novels of Anne Tyler or Elizabeth Strout. The story is charming but sad. An especially endearing quality comes from the warm relationship that is sensed between Eliza and her brother who is quite a few years older than she. The story is one of a Jewish family, but that’s mostly irrelevant to the plot. The Jewish angle, though, gives the story root in time and place, and lends a certain warmth to the action. The sadness comes from the sense of alienation between the characters.

Released 10 yrs ago (5/17/2014 UTC) at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion And Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

This book is being released to the BookCrossing booth at the Gaithersburg Book Festival.

--------------------

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, October 22, 2023
Caught!

This book is one of a trunkful of books received by the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) in October, 2023, from the generous couple who have a Little Free Library in Derwood, Maryland, USA. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at LFL - Vandegrift Ave (5811) #7720 in Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, March 29, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (3/29/2024 UTC) at LFL - Vandegrift Ave (5811) #7720 in Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book for...

***The 2024 Oh, the Places We Can Go Challenge hosted by awaywithfairies. Bee is a town in the Minnesota region of United States.

--------------------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, April 5, 2024
I selected this book from the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) to travel elsewhere.