Shoeless Joe

by W.P. Kinsella | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 5/13/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Shoeless Joe
Author: W. P. Kinsella

"Wild...Romantic...Unconventional...A triumph of hope." THE BOSTON GLOBE The voice of a baseball announcer tells the Iowa farmer Ray Kinsella: "If you build it, he will come." "He" is Shoeless Joe Jackson, Ray's hero. "It" is a baseball stadium which Ray carves out of his cornfield. Like the movie FIELD OF DREAMS that was made from this novel, SHOELESS JOE is about baseball. But it's also about love and the power of dreams to make people come alive....

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Friday, October 28, 2016

Who would have thought...the CUBS and the INDIANS in the World Series! Today is game 3 of the series with it tied one game apiece. The Cubs haven't won a World Series since 1908 and the Indians haven't won since 1948. This great matchup made me want to read a baseball novel and what better than SHOELESS JOE, the basis of the movie "Field of Dreams" starring Kevin Costner. I saw Dreams when it first came out in 1989 but I didn't really remember much about it other than the Costner character building a baseball diamond in his cornfield in Iowa where a ghostly team of Chicago White Sox end up playing. I have recorded the movie on my DVR and will be watching it again soon to see how it compares to the book.

I've had the book on my shelf for several years, along with a few others by Kinsella, and I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. The main character, Ray Kinsella, does build a ball field outside his corn field on his Iowa farm because he heard a ballgame announcer tell him..."build it and he will come." And sure enough, once he is finished with left field, Shoeless Joe Jackson of the infamous 1919 Chicago Black Sox does appear and lets him know that the entire team will come when the ball field is complete. Then Ray hears the voice again advising him to seek out the Catcher in the Rye author, J.D. Salinger, and take him to a ballgame in Fenway Park. (In the movie, Salinger is changed to the fictional Terence Mann.) Salinger reluctantly agrees to go with him and winds up going back to Iowa to the ball field along with a young Moonlight Graham, who played only one inning for the New York Giants back in 1905.

The novel is full of baseball trivia including details about the early Chicago Cubs (who last won the World series in 1908) and their players. One of the characters in the story, Eddie Scissons, claimed to be the oldest living Chicago Cub. Overall, I really enjoyed this fantasy about the love of the game and would recommend it to any baseball fan.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at bookstogive's general lit VBB, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 28, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (4/28/2017 UTC) at bookstogive's general lit VBB, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sending to love2cook from the lit VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by winglove2cookwing at Pearland, Texas USA on Tuesday, May 02, 2017
Thanks for the book. I've seen the movie and loved it. Hope the book lives up to my expectations.

Journal Entry 5 by winglove2cookwing at Pearland, Texas USA on Wednesday, June 28, 2017
I did enjoy this story. As a teenager, I listened to the Detroit Tigers without fail. I'd sit by the radio my father bought me for my birthday and write down all the statistics of the games. I've been to Detroit twice to watch the game in person. It sure beats watching on TV. Back to the book----------it was well written and full of tid-bits of information on the different players and teams. Any one who loves the game of baseball should really like this book.

Journal Entry 6 by winglove2cookwing at Somewhere in Pearland, TX in Pearland, Texas USA on Sunday, August 20, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (8/20/2017 UTC) at Somewhere in Pearland, TX in Pearland, Texas USA

To the finder of this book:
What you have in your hands is an honest-to-goodness gift. You may keep it forever, pass it on to a friend, or release it into the wild for someone else to find.

If you are new to BookCrossing, and find this book and this site, welcome!
Enjoy the site, the book, and hopefully the BookCrossing community. I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, love2cook ... as the member who referred you. Or you may remain anonymous!

If you are an old hand at BookCrossing, thanks for wanting this book! Either way, I hope you'll make a brief journal entry so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Thanks, and Happy Book Crossing! :)