Sharp Objects: A Novel

by gillian flynn | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by southbos3279 of Boston, Massachusetts USA on 5/13/2014
Journal Entry 1 by southbos3279 from Boston, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, May 13, 2014
This is Gillian Flynn's first novel and it is entertaining. Terrific combination of good storytelling and sharp (pun unintended) writing.

Journal Entry 2 by southbos3279 at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (5/13/2014 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Being released at the Boston Bookcrossing Meetup, Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA.

Released 4 yrs ago (6/10/2014 UTC) at Algiers, 40 Brattle Street, Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

To be released at next local bookcrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 12, 2014
Picked up at last night's meetup. Thanks for sharing it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, December 28, 2018
Disturbing. Very disturbing. Yet I couldn’t put it down – unable to stop turning the pages but needing to take a deep breath before each turn. I rarely read anything stronger than a cozy mystery, so admittedly am a bit of a wuss. However, my apprehension was somewhat justified when I read Stephen King’s quote on the back cover about dreading reading the last 30 pages (but also unable to avoid doing so!). If the master of horror had difficulty, well then...

An astounding collection of troubled people populates this novel. Most of them you can have sympathy for, as their dysfunction is a product of their past (or ongoing) situation and, therefore, not their fault. But it was difficult for me to actually like a single character.

I’m probably one of the few people on earth who has never read Gone Girl or seen the movie, so I couldn’t predict just how tough this would be. It’s a tribute to Ms. Flynn’s writing skills that despite the subject matter one can read it in one sitting.

Journal Entry 6 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, December 31, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (12/31/2018 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to GoryDetails via a wishlist-tag game. Hope you like it!

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, January 05, 2019
The wishlist book arrived safely today; many thanks! I didn't get into Gone Girl but I really loved Dark Places; will see how this one compares!

Later: While I prefer Dark Places, this one kept me riveted, in a horrifying way. That level of generational dysfunction is terrifying and heart-breaking, and while I guessed the conclusion fairly early on, the way the author revealed things kept making me doubt my initial theories. The protagonist/narrator was difficult to like but easy to empathize with; what an awful situation...

The book inspired a 2018 mini-series; it has high ratings but I admit I don't really want to watch it; it was painful enough reading about those events {rueful grin}.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the novel, and another on the mini-series, with some intriguing tidbits.]

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Haven Park in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, January 13, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (1/13/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Haven Park in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***