Curse of the Pogo Stick

by Colin Cotterill | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 5/18/2014
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, May 18, 2014
This book followed me home from the 2014 Hawaii Book & Music Festival. Larger photo here.

Book #5 of Dr. Siri's adventures.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, May 13, 2018
I was hoping to read this book, eventually, but clearly I haven't.

I need to downsize, so it will be looking for a new reader. Happy travels, book!

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, May 21, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/21/2018 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Monday, May 21, 2018: RABCK headed for New Hampshire - happy reading!

ETA 6/11/18
USPS tracking 9549 0104 3303 8141 4610 08

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let this book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, June 14, 2018
The package arrived safely today, just ahead of a rainstorm. Thanks so much for the wishlist books! I've enjoyed several "Dr. Siri" books by now, including the first two, The Coroner's Lunch and Thirty-Three Teeth, and am delighted to have another. The series is about a 70-something doctor who finds himself appointed as the national coroner, and must do the best he can amid shortages of supplies - and lots of political pressure; it's a marvelous mix of local culture, politics, mystery, and occasional romance, with much more humor than one might expect...

This one features some unnerving threats to several characters; Dr. Siri is kidnapped by Hmong villagers to help them cope with a demon that's possessed a village girl, though the threat to the entire population from political forces seems more urgent to Siri. Meanwhile, Siri's fiancee Madame Daeng tries to handle matters at home, despite the discovery of a booby-trapped corpse - clearly intended to kill Siri - which reawakens fears of The Lizard, a vengeful if elderly rebel who has it in for the good doctor.

And as if that weren't enough, police officer Phosy and his beloved wife (and Siri's trusted nurse) Dtui get themselves captured by none other than The Lizard herself, and are at the point of death when...

...the author switches back to Siri's subplot and stays there for most of the book! Yeesh!

{grin}

I enjoyed the story, what with Siri's attempts to juggle his possessing-spirit shaman and his own devious plans against the needs of the many who depend on him, and the various plot twists were exciting. I did feel that the Lizard subplot was unraveled rather hastily - though I know from later books that this isn't the end of *that* story. Another entertaining entry in this series!

Released 1 yr ago (6/30/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 22 Prospect St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left the book in the Little Free Library on this very warm day, before going to check out the preparations for this afternoon's Pride Festival. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***