A Thousand Acres (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

by Jane Smiley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by quietorchid of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 5/6/2014
Journal Entry 1 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, May 06, 2014
Jane Smiley's first well known book. It rightly enough won a Pulitzer and other awards. Set in Flyover land, she details the costs of the obsession to make farming a commercial reality. Thought provoking and sad.

2012 Challenged and removed from School lists in TX. 'sex' 'violence'

For more information about banned books go to the American Library Association page.

Heavens it took them long enough to find a quiet voice discussing the costs of Factory Farms. I am guessing that it why people are now upset over this 1992 book.

Released 6 yrs ago (5/23/2014 UTC) at Gingko Coffee Shop - Snelling and Minnehaha in Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Left on the shelf to find a new reader!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 3 by wingJudySlump612wing at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, June 01, 2014
Taken from OBCZ shelves

Journal Entry 4 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, June 06, 2015
This is a terrific book, but it took me a while to realize why. I'm glad to have found a spare copy for BookCrossing, so I can share it with friends whilst still keeping my own copy for future re-reading.

The first time I read it, I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, setting, story, and writing. A great page-turner, but I didn't see why it won the Pulitzer and the Book Critics Circle awards. The basis of 'King Lear' is obvious enough that I got a video of the play from the library to compare. There are more parallels than I realized, but some important differences too. Smiley really looked at what kind of person the father/king figure would be to make such a disastrous decision as giving away his farm/kingdom.

Then when I read it again, not so much in a hurry to find out what would happen next, I was startled to find some of the themes that were just under the surface. No spoilers here, because you should have the fun of making your own discoveries. Also, what catches your attention will vary with your unique experiences and expectations. It's like watching an old Polaroid picture develop itself: after you've seen the big outlines of the foreground, the background details come into view, and the picture becomes much more complex and interesting.

But that's just one person's opinion. Future readers, what do YOU think of this book?

Journal Entry 5 by wingJudySlump612wing at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 09, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (11/9/2015 UTC) at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to Sparkish for Meg72's Women in Fiction VBB

Journal Entry 6 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 17, 2015
Arrived safe and sound in Leicestershire - thank you for sending 😊

Journal Entry 7 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, June 01, 2020
Beautifully written but an uncomfortable read at times. It has a whole host of unpleasant characters, but is well worth the effort.

Will be travelling on very soon.

Journal Entry 8 by wingSparkishwing at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (6/1/2020 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Now travelling over to Australia as part of the Wishlist tag game. I hope you enjoy the book. Sorry for the delay getting it into the post.

Journal Entry 9 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, June 30, 2020
It's here!! :D

Thank you so much for this wishlist tag Sparkish, and for sending internationally.
Never any worries about delays - they happen...
It's not as if I don't have anything to read. *lol*