Martin Sloane: A Novel

by Michael Redhill | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSparkishwing of Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 4/30/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingSparkishwing from Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Jolene Iolas, a student in upstate New York, encounters Martin Sloane's work while visiting a Toronto gallery. Flush with the confidence of youth, she strikes up a correspondence with the older artist, and eventually they become lovers.

And then, without warning, without a word, he vanishes. There is no hint of his fate, no chain of cause and effect to be followed. Ten years pass, and Jolene learns to stop trying to make sense of what has happened to her. But before she can fully return to life, the opportunity to confront her ghost arises. Word comes that someone named Sloane has been exhibiting artworks identical to Martin's in Irish galleries.

Seamlessly crafted and beautifully written, Martin Sloane evokes the mysteries of love and art, the weight of history, and what it means to bear memory for the missing and the dead.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 01, 2018
Not really to my taste but a pleasant enough read.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSparkishwing at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/4/2018 UTC) at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

After sitting on one of my shelves for far too long, this book is finally on it’s travels as part of greenbadger’s one book a month giveaway. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, July 19, 2018
Thank you for sending me the book. I am intrigued by the premise and I look forward to reading it.

----------------------------
Updated January 6, 2019

I love the book and its haunting sense of melancholy. I like the sad and flawed characters. I do not want to give anything away, since it is much better to read without knowing. But I want to say that I like the ending.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmcsarwing at by post, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (1/8/2019 UTC) at by post, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases

Going to the winner/decoy of the inaugural round of the 1st name sweepstakes. I hope you enjoy this novel as much as I did.

Journal Entry 6 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, March 01, 2019
Thanks for this book, it does look like something I will enjoy.

I'm still looking for the stamps :) haha, you said I should carefully remove the cover sheet. But I think I've peeled of everything that was removable from the envelope.

*nevermind* I peeled everything off another envelope from you and found them :) So many parcels piled up during my holidays.

reserved for first sentence vbb:

"Some people believe in a connected world in which every one thing is cognate with every other thing, the bell tolling for you, for me."