Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop

Reading is Fundamental
by Various | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 6/14/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, June 14, 2014
If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, July 14, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (7/14/2014 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! off to NancyNova for Christmas in July 2014 RABCK. Enjoy

Journal Entry 3 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, July 26, 2014
Arrived today!

Adding to the TBR sooner shelf. Will not make it back out for the July 2014 Christmas Challenge, but maybe will move along for the 2015 version. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, March 04, 2019
intriguing idea. A bookseller commissioned a short mystery story for his customers, to give out as booklets. The author has to follow a few rules: the story must be set at Christmas, be a mystery and have some of the action occur at the bookshop.
I only heard of one of the authors before, as I don't usually read many mysteries - Mary Higgins Clark.
Now this is off to gorydetails

Journal Entry 5 by wingNancyNovawing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, March 07, 2019

Released 10 mos ago (3/8/2019 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Wishlist tag book. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, March 14, 2019
The wishlist-tag book arrived safely today, along with some delightful bonuses; many thanks! I've enjoyed other themed mystery anthologies, including a surprising number set during the holidays, and this one sounds like fun!

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 18, 2019
I've never been to the actual Mysterious Bookshop in New York, though it sounds rather like the late, lamented Kate's Mystery Books that used to honor a Charles-Addams-esque house in Cambridge, MA. The stories here all have to have some reference to the bookshop, and quite a few are set in it, so I got a nice feel for the place - though I hope it doesn't suffer quite as many crimes as this collection would lead one to believe!

I've read books by many of the contributing authors, and was pleased to recognize so many names and characters, from George Baxt's gay black detective Pharaoh Love to Donald Westlake's Dortmunder.

Many of the tales are humorous and/or extremely punny, some to better effect than others, but there are dark tales too - perhaps my favorite is the VERY bleak "I Saw Mommy Killing Santa Clause" by Ed McBain. Anne Perry's "My Object All Sublime" is quite meta, with a wannabe author going to great lengths to attract the attention of the bookshop's owner. And "The 74th Tale" by Jonathan Santlofer (an author new to me) was very chilling indeed, yet with a darkly humorous nod to the works of Poe.

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 26, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (4/26/2019 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Already Been Crossed bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 9 by wingethereawing at Little Rock, Arkansas USA on Sunday, May 19, 2019
I took this from kaila-ann's Already Been Crossed Book Box.