NOS4A2

by Joe Hill | Horror |
ISBN: 0062200577 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingghirwing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 4/26/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingghirwing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, April 26, 2014
Wishlist book found at Friends of Hawaii Kai Library book shop. Funny trivia, book is called NOS4R2 in Britain.

Giant brick off to Bkind2books as a surprise. Media mail, 05/30/14.

For wishlist RABCK challenge:

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!! DO NOT READ FURTHER

!!!!

!!!!

This feels like Joe Hill set out to write a Stephen King book. A child from a fragmented family encounters a truly evil being, but suppresses and rationalizes the experience until he/she considers it merely a childhood fantasy once he/she reaches adulthood. And then Pennywise, or whatever, comes back, abducting a loved one, forcing the protagonist to face horrorful reality in order to rescue said love one and restore order.

It's so nice to have TWO of them writing the same dang book over and over.

And ugh on the kitchen-sink ending - you know, when an author doesn't know how to end the book so he keeps throwing stuff out there, hoping you might like something. I haven't been irritated by this feature more since Ira Levin's Son of Rosemary. I can't believe I spent 700 pages for this lame finish.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Thursday, June 26, 2014
Oooooh! Total girly squeal. I am excited to get this and it will be going as close to the top of Mt TBR as I can manage (I have several that are promised to others and must be done first - rats!!). Thank you so much, ghir! (and I too love the Friends booksales - the lure is a siren call that my husband dreads - books….booooks….boooooksss….)

Journal Entry 3 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, October 21, 2015
WOW

A true masterpiece of horror. There is no need to compare this to Uncle Stevie's body of work. Joe has a voice of his own and, my, does he know how to use it. This novel is an onion, with layers upon layers, and just when you think you know where Joe is taking you, why there's a Shortaway...

The story revolves around Vic (short for Victoria). As a girl, she gets a cool bike that has a little extra feature: Vic can use it to find things - her mom's bracelet, a photo, you get the idea. But one day, when she was almost grown, she used the bike to get away from an argument with her mom, and in the process, goes out looking for trouble. She finds it in spades - she encounters Charlie Manx and his Wraith and the Gasmask Man. But Vic is resourceful and escapes.

Years later, Vic is all grown up and while there may be a few, shall we say lingering effects, she's put this behind her. But Charlie has not - and if he missed out on Vic, well there's always Vic's son. I won't say more - but it is a thrill ride, a seriously creepy Christmasland type of thrill ride.

Joe Hill takes us on a ride through the landscape of childhood and deposits us on the other side, sadder and wiser. He inserts sly little references - nods to pop culture and Shawshank and other family bits. I liked Heart-Shaped Box but he streaked to a whole new level with NOS4A2.

Quotes to remember:

We are sharing this dream together. It is your dream, Bing. But it is still my ride.

Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae: This is the place where death delights in helping life

Was there any human urge more pitiful - or more intense - than wanting another chance at something?

The difference between childhood and adulthood...was the difference between imagination and resignation. You traded one for the other and lost your way.

It seemed to her sometimes that this was the only fight that mattered: the struggle to take the world's chaos and make it mean something, to put it to words.

Whatever the children had become, whatever he had done to them, he had done to make them safe, to keep them from being run down by the world. He believed in his own decency with all his heart. So it was with every true monster.

Journal Entry 4 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Friday, January 29, 2016
Sending in the wishlist tag game as a tag forward to Firegirl.

Firegirl, there is no obligation to play but hope you'll take a look - we're always looking for more tag players.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, January 30, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/30/2016 UTC) at Clarksville, Tennessee USA

Releasing as a tag forward in the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

DC# 9549 0111 1878 6030 3959 41

Journal Entry 6 by Firegirl at Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016
This brick of a book arrived safely today. Thanks!! I appreciate the RABCK and have been watching the Wishlist Tag Game in hopes of participating soon.

Thanks again!

Journal Entry 7 by Firegirl at Annandale, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 16, 2019
I listened to this on audiobook else I don’t think I’d ever have gotten through it. (That seems to be how it is with me and Hill’s work these days. I felt the same about The Fireman). Much like his father, Hill needs some editing help; his books are just way longer than needed. This was a decent enough story, though there was nothing super new or original, really. Horror with a bit of the fantastical. Not bad, if that’s your thing. I think my biggest issue with Hill is that I loved his first book Heart-Shaped Box so very much and I want all his other work to be as good, but it just isn't. I will say that I find his books more enjoyable than his father's work, for the most part.

Journal Entry 8 by Firegirl at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 16, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (3/16/2019 UTC) at Arlington, Virginia USA

Passed on at today's BCinDC gathering. I think it may be on its way to the Day of the Book!

Journal Entry 9 by wingmelydiawing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 17, 2019
Picked up at today's BCinDC meetup at Silver Diner in Arlington, Virginia. I read another copy a while back and this is what I had to say then:

Vic McQueen finds things: she rides her bike across the long-gone Shorter Way Bridge, and on the other side is whatever she's looking for, no matter where. One day she goes looking for trouble and finds Charlie Manx, serial killer and child abductor. The story spans several decades, following Vic's life from childhood through motherhood. There were parts that reminded me of Dean Koontz or Stephen King at their very best. Manx and his assistant Bing never fail to be terrifying, and since it's Hill you're not guaranteed anyone will survive. The gore was effective but but gratuitous. I liked a lot of the characters, especially Lou Carmody (perhaps because I know guys like that in real life). The only part I didn't really like was the ending. I understand why things turned out the way they did, but I'd still hoped for something different. That said, I recommend any of Hill's books to lovers of paranormal thrillers and horror. This was fantastic.

Planned Release in 4 days (4/28/2019 UTC) at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

This is one of the many books given away at the 2019 Kensington Day of the Book Festival.
Welcome to BookCrossing!